Up to $300,000 is available to help scale-up not-for-profit social enterprises that are creating jobs and employment pathways for Australians experiencing disadvantage.
Social Scale-Up Grants
The Westpac Foundation Social Scale-up Grant is designed to help scale-up not-for-profit social enterprises that are creating jobs and employment pathways for individuals who often face significant barriers to entering the mainstream job market or are excluded from the workforce.
The Social Scale-up Grant program applies the Foundation’s knowledge and experience gained from supporting social enterprises over the past 10 years and replaces our previous ‘Explore’, ‘Seed’, and ‘Strengthen’ grants.
The Westpac Foundation designed the Social Scale-up Grants to help enable social enterprises to scale-up and take on calculated risks without significantly affecting their ongoing operations or impacting their existing training and employment programs.
As part of their More than Money program, each shortlisted applicant will be matched with a Westpac business mentor over a 8-12 week period to help review, guide and advise on key elements of the application including the business plan, governance/management structure, risk strategy, and financial information. Many of the mentoring relationships formed during the Social Scale-up process continue regardless of whether the applicant is successful if both the mentor and mentee find the relationship valuable.
Successful grant recipients will receive $300,000 over three years, as well as valuable non-financial support such as business mentoring through our More than Money Program, to help scale-up their operations, grow their business and increase their social impact.
The Westpac Foundation aim to fund social enterprises that can demonstrate:
- A proven, viable and sustainable business model.
- Good financial records that evidence that the social enterprise is generating at least 50% of its total revenue from trading.
- A proven model for creating jobs and employment pathways for individuals who often face significant barriers to entering the mainstream job market or are often excluded from the workforce.
- A well-developed workplace support model that responds to the specific needs of people within our target groups.
- A strong management team and board with relevant experience in both, the core social need or problem, and relevant commercial experience in the industry in which the organisation is trading.
- A strong commitment to measuring social impact.
- A need for funding to help grow/scale-up the business, its operation and the number of people it can train or employ.
Examples of funding purposes of our grants include:
- Funding wages for key roles, such as a General Manager, Human Resources Manager, Financial Controller, or Business Development Manager, to help improve the business’ long term financial sustainability.
- Funding the costs of the social support programs e.g. hiring a fulltime Trainee Support Manager.
- Funding expansion of the social enterprise’s operations to additional premises or locations.
To be eligible, your organisation must meet all of the following criteria:
- Does your social enterprise have a proven model for creating jobs and/or employment pathways (training, qualifications or work experience) for Australians (in Westpac Foundation’s target groups) who face barriers to employment, or are often excluded from the job market?
- Has your social enterprise supported 10 or more people facing barriers to employment (within Westpac Foundation’s target groups) into an Award wage paying job (casual, part-time or full time), or employment pathways?
- Is your social enterprise registered and operating in Australia?
- Does your social enterprise have Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) Item 1 Status?
Applications close 28 February 2017.