Up to $20,000 is available to support student participation in STEM engagement activities, events and competitions that take place in Australia or overseas.
Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions
The Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions is an element of the Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme, that provides grants to organisations to sponsor eligible students to participate in conferences, competitions and other science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related events.
Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions aims to support young Australians to develop skills and potential career opportunities in a field of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The Science Engagement element supports Australian students under the age of 18 to attend or participate in significant STEM related activities or events in Australia and overseas. This could include support for a senior student to pitch an innovation to an entrepreneur or participate at Australian-based STEM competitions.
- $4 million over 4 years ($1 million each year) is available from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in STEM engagement activities and events that take place in Australia and overseas (Science Engagement).
- $2.4 million over 4 years ($600,000 each year) is available from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in STEM competitions taking place outside Australia (International Competitions).
The minimum grant amount is $1,000.The maximum grant amount is $5,000 per student, up to a maximum of $20,000 per application.
For grants over $10,000, you must at least match grant funds received with cash and/or in-kind contributions.
To be eligible your project must involve:
- the participation of a student or a group of students under the age of 18 at an eligible event
- a minimum of $1,000 in eligible expenditure.
An eligible event must:
- be related to the pursuit of a field of STEM
- promote student engagement in STEM-related disciplines, or participation in STEM-based competitions
- take place within one year you submitting your application.
An event is not eligible if the sponsor organisation is required to support the student/s to attend the event as part of its normal ‘business as usual’ activities.
A sponsor organisation must apply on behalf of a student or group of students.
To be an eligible sponsor organisation (applicant) you must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following:
- a primary or secondary school that is registered with a state or territory authority
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- an entity incorporated in Australia
To be eligible the sponsor organisation must also:
- be applying on behalf of a student or group of students under the age of 18 (at the time of application), to attend a specific STEM event or activity that meets the requirements under these guidelines
- have not already received in the same financial year either Science Engagement or International Competitions funding under these guidelines for the same student/s or event; and
- provide confirmation from their managing Board, school principal or Chief Executive Officer (or equivalent) that:
- the student/s attendance at the STEM event or activity is supported
- the applicant has the capacity to meet any costs of student’s participation at the STEM event or activity not covered by grant funding
- the student/s attendance at the event or activity is reasonably expected to proceed if the grant is provided.
Joint applications are acceptable, provided you appoint a lead applicant. The lead applicant must be eligible as per the list above, be the main driver for the application and be responsible for the students’ attendance at the event.
Applications open on an ongoing basis.