What is the 2021 COVID-19 Business Grant?
The 2021 COVID-19 Business Grant is a program that provides support for businesses that experienced reduced demand or had to close due to the public health orders. It will support businesses with cash flow for the first 3 weeks of the Greater Sydney lockdown which started on 26 June 2021.
On 7 July 2021, the New South Wales Premier announced the extension of the restrictions originally issued on 26 June under the Public Health (COVID-19 Temporary Movement and Gathering Restrictions) Order 2021 (‘the Order’). Under the Order, stay-at-home restrictions were put in place for Greater Sydney.
The Public Health Orders have created challenges for many businesses across New South Wales that will either be forced to close or experience reduced demand.
The 2021 COVID-19 Business Grant (‘the Grant’) will provide cash flow support until the JobSaver scheme commences on 18 July, to help cover business expenses for which no other government support is available. The intention of the Grant is to help businesses survive the lockdown so they can continue to support employment and the economy after restrictions are lifted.
Eligible businesses (including non-employing businesses such as non-employing sole traders) and not-for-profit organisations can apply for a one-off grant of $7,500 (tier one) or $10,500 (tier two) or $15,000 (tier 3) via one application:
- $7,500 (tier one): Businesses that have experienced a decline in turnover of 30% or more due to the Public Health Orders will be eligible for a grant of $7,500.
- $10,500 (tier two): Businesses that have experienced a decline in turnover of 50% or more due to the Public Health Orders will be eligible for a grant of $10,500.
- $15,000 (tier three): Businesses that have experienced a decline in turnover of 70% or more due to the Public Health Orders will be eligible for a grant of $15,000.
Eligible businesses may only receive one grant tier. Only one grant is available for a single ABN. Multiple businesses under a single ABN are only eligible for one grant.
The Grant will help eligible businesses and not-for-profit organisations with business costs incurred from 1 June 2021 to 17 July 2021 (the JobSaver scheme will commence from 18 July 2021). These costs may include, but are not limited to, the following expenses:
- utilities, wages and rent;
- financial, legal or other advice to support business continuity planning;
- marketing and communications activities to develop the business;
- the cost of perishable goods that can no longer be used; or
- other activities to support the operation of the business.
The Grant must only be used for expenses for which no other government support is available. For example, the Grant cannot be used to pay government fees and charges that would be covered by the $1500 small business fees and charges rebate.
To be eligible for the grant , you must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- demonstrate your business was operating in NSW as at 1 June 2021
- have had total annual Australian wages of $10 million or less as at 1 July 2020
- have had an aggregated annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million (inclusive) for the year ended 30 June 2020
- have business costs for which there is no other government support available
- maintain your employee headcount as at 13 July 2021. See the guidelines for definitions.
Applications close 13 September 2021.