A-Lab Incubate 2019 is a three-day working session for teams to develop high-impact, innovative projects that can help accelerate Australia’s transition to renewable energy.
A-Lab Incubate 2019
A-Lab Incubate 2019 is a three-day innovation lab where up to ten teams will be invited to develop high-impact projects that will progress Australia’s transition to renewable energy.
Teams will be supported by A-Lab facilitators, industry experts and provocateurs to enhance the quality of their ideas, enable cross-sector collaboration, and accelerate the process of taking project concepts through to funding and delivery.
A-Lab is ARENA’s innovation lab, aimed at helping to create cross-sector partnerships and world first projects to transform Australia towards a clean energy future. A-Lab brings a diverse network of people together to generate new ideas by using a variety of approaches to facilitate intensive, collaborative processes.
In developing A-Lab ARENA found that no single actor can innovate across the entire system to drive the change needed to help the sector transition to one that is customer driven with high shares of renewables.
A-Lab uses a structured innovation process that leads a diverse range of people and their ideas through a best practice innovation methodology.
There are three types of A-Lab events and working sessions:
- Ideate events are used to generate new ideas for projects that address systemic change
- Incubate working sessions provide a structured, focused space for teams to develop project ideas with support from industry experts
- Accelerate workshops are collaborative, facilitated processes intended to support the co-design of large, multi-stakeholder ARENA funding programs
A-Lab has three core objectives:
- Projects driving systemic change – through our process we will enable the design of new projects, initiatives and businesses that accelerate the transition to clean energy.
- Collaborative community – to deliver systemic innovation we will foster collaboration across a diverse group of participants, representing all parts of the energy system.
- Building innovation capability – we will empower our participants with new skills and capabilities to creatively solve the industry’s biggest challenges.
ARENA is seeking teams working on ideas that align with one of the following interest areas:
- Delivering technology and business model solutions to enable higher shares of renewables in the electricity grid
- Supporting the growth of Australia’s renewable hydrogen industry
- Helping industry transition to renewables
Each team’s project must have a sufficient nexus to ARENA’s purpose of accelerating the shift to affordable and reliable renewable energy. Applications related to energy efficiency projects are out of scope.
ARENA funds discrete projects with a dedicated budget and associated deliverables that may be within a broader business. A-Lab Incubate 2019 is looking to accelerate these types of project ideas that may be suitable for ARENA funding.
Each team’s project must be actively under development, although it may range from an idea just brought into existence to a project well under way.
Incubate 2019 teams will comprise three to seven core people working on a project concept in the renewable energy sector that aligns with the interest areas in scope. Where possible, we are seeking diverse teams that are comprised of people from multiple organisations including combinations of innovators, disruptors, technology providers, project developers, energy retailers, network businesses, end-users/customers, regulators, rule makers.
If you are seeking input from a particular part of industry that you are having trouble accessing, we encourage you to highlight this in your application. For teams invited to participate, A-Lab will help connect you with relevant individuals to build out a multidisciplinary team, where possible, to help your project succeed.
Incubate 2019 will be held in Sydney on 11-13 September 2019.
Applications close 2 August 2019.