What is Aboriginal Business Development Program?
The Aboriginal Business Development Program is a NT Government initiative managed by the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation which aims to support Aboriginal people interested in either starting a business or expanding an existing business in the NT.
The objectives of the Program are to:
- support business growth and sustainability;
- support the creation of new enterprises across industries;
- increase the number of Aboriginal owned and operated businesses;
- increase the knowledge and skills of emerging Aboriginal business owners; and
- create new employment, economic and skill development opportunities for Aboriginal businesses and business owners.
The program intent is to create successful and viable Aboriginal Businesses. Applications are submitted once the business can demonstrate a financially viable business case. Successful applicants are provided with a voucher to exchange for the approved items deemed essential to commence the business or business opportunity.
The Aboriginal Business Development Program offers funding of up to $30,000.
Because each business is unique, there are no strict parameters for Eligible Goods, Services or Works, however they may be things such as:
- professional development for business owners and/ or staff (accredited and non-accredited training and other qualifications)
- engage professional or specialised services to assist with regulatory issues or approvals, eg land tenure and zoning, or to market or develop the business’s profile or sales ability, eg website development;
- secure tangible assets essential for the business to commence operation or act on new opportunities such as office equipment
Applicants should note that operational costs incurred in the course of the normal day to day operation of the business, such as purchase of stock in trade or the undertaking of maintenance, repairs and general upkeep of a Premises and similar expenses, are not Eligible Goods, Services or Works.
Up to five Eligible Suppliers may provide Eligible Goods, Services or Works to an Eligible Recipient under this Program.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a resident of the NT
- have a business or proposed business that is at least 50% Aboriginal owned and operated
- have a business or proposed business that is based and registered in the NT
- be able to demonstrate commitment, where appropriate, from land councils
- make any required financial contributions and prove you can make them
Successful applicants will also receive one-on-one support from a small business champion.
Applications open on an ongoing basis.