What is the African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program?
The African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program is a grant opportunity to support African and Pasifika young people to participate in sports competitions and events.
The African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program is a one-off funding opportunity for local government and community organisations to engage and partner with African and Pasifika young people aged 12 to 25 participating in informal sporting activities.
Informal sporting groups and activities form on a casual basis and often have a higher emphasis on social networks. These informal groups are particularly common among young people from CALD backgrounds, and in particular among young people from African and Pasifika backgrounds.
Successful programs will be developed with young people and will focus on these objectives:
- strengthening health and wellbeing
- increasing community engagement
- building social interactions
- maintaining the integrity of informal sports organisations
- providing pathways into formal sports organisations
- providing mentoring, training and employment opportunities.
$300,000 is available to support African and Pasifika young people to participate in sports competitions and events to foster a sense of belonging and create pathways to mentoring, training and employment opportunities.
Category 1 – Uniforms and equipment
- Grants provide up to $2,000 for African and/or Pasifika teams to buy sporting uniforms and equipment for young people participating in informal sporting teams, games or events.
Category 2 – Informal sporting teams, games and events
- Grants provide up to $30,000 to assist African and/or Pasifika sports teams to engage young people to participate in sporting games, competitions and events.
Category one grants—uniforms and equipment
Grants can be used to cover these costs:
- grants must be spent on equipment and/or uniforms used in informal sporting activities eg. Clothing, shoes, boots, bats, balls, racquets, nets, first aid equipment etc.
Category two grants—informal sports teams, games and events
Grants can be used to cover these costs associated with managing informal sports teams, games and events:
- staffing costs: salary for program coordinator and event staff
- operational costs: costs to hire venues and sports grounds
- training and capacity building costs: mentoring/coaching and leadership development for participants.
To be eligible for funding your team must:
- live in Victoria
- have African and/or Pasifika young people aged 12-25 as participants
- hold activities in a safe and inclusive environment.
Informal sports teams – sports teams that are not affiliated with a club or association – can apply for a grant in Categories 1 and 2; however in order to receive funding they must enter into support arrangement with a council or community organisation that meets the criteria in the grant guidelines.
Local government and community organisations can apply for or support an informal sports team if they meet the criteria to be funded through a service agreement with DFFH.
Commercial organisations or bodies established for profit-making purposes cannot apply for a grant from the African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program.
Applications close 19 May 2021.