Call 1300 658 508
What is the Agricultural Development Fund?
The Agricultural Development Fund is a program to support projects that promote sustainable growth and innovation in Tasmanian agricultural industries.
The Tasmanian Government is investing in industry-driven agricultural research to address emerging opportunities and issues likely to have a direct impact on Tasmanian agriculture through its $3 million Agricultural Development Fund (ADF).
The Agricultural Development Fund supports projects that will deliver broad benefits to Tasmania and the state’s agricultural sector; have strong support and partnership from industry; and that demonstrate a clear strategy to deliver on-farm impacts.
Funding rounds for the Agricultural Development Fund will also allocate funds remaining in the Agricultural Innovation Fund. In total, $1.97 million in funding is available through this round, with a maximum of $500,000 available for individual agricultural RD&E projects that can be undertaken in a three-year timeframe. It is expected that this will be the final funding round.
Call 1300 658 508
The Agricultural Development Fund provides Tasmanian agricultural industries with funding to undertake projects that contribute to sustainable growth and jobs in agriculture.
Preference will be given to projects that:
- help producers to reduce emissions and adapt to and prepare for the impacts of climate change
- assist agribusiness to identify, plan for and manage biosecurity risks
- help industry address digital skill gaps and improve productivity
- respond rapidly to threats in order to minimise adverse impacts on the sector.
Applicants must demonstrate how the project will deliver farm-level impacts that benefit Tasmanian farmers and contribute to sustainable growth and jobs in agriculture.
Tasmanian public or private sector are eligible to apply, provided that the project addresses a genuine need identified by Tasmanian industry and involves demonstrable collaboration with industry partners.
Additionally, applicants must:
- be an entity with an ongoing presence in Tasmania
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- be registered for goods and services tax (GST)
- have public liability insurance with a coverage value of $20 million
- have not received funding from the Tasmanian government for the same activities.
Applications close 3 February 2023.
Call 1300 658 508
Round One Projects
Four projects have been funded through the ADF and are currently underway:
- Reuse and recycling of hydroponic substrate to enable the growth of high value agricultural production in Tasmania (Fruit Growers Tasmania, RMCG, Costa Exchange, Hillwood Berries, Tasmanian Berries, Hills Transplants)
- Optimising calf raising for dairy beef production in Tasmania (Pinion Advisory, TasCor Agri)
- Development of the hoverfly, Eristalis tenax, as a complementary managed pollinator for Tasmanian cropping systems (SeedPurity, Bejo Australia, South Pacific Seeds, Tasmanian Pollination Services)Production of an Asparagopsis pellet that will be suitable for farmers to integrate into their feeding systems (Sea Forest, Tasmanian Stockfeed Services, Fonterra, Kingston Farm, Annadale Farm, Tas Ag Co, Analytical Services Tasmania).
- Production of an Asparagopsis pellet that will be suitable for farmers to integrate into their feeding systems (Sea Forest, Tasmanian Stockfeed Services, Fonterra, Kingston Farm, Annadale Farm, Tas Ag Co, Analytical Services Tasmania).