What is the Australian 5G Innovation Initiative?
The Australian 5G Innovation Initiative is a grant opportunity which aims to provide businesses with opportunities to trial and test 5G applications that demonstrate 5G’s capability and benefits across a range of industry sectors and locations.
The $40 million Australian 5G Innovation Initiative supports the Australian Government’s commitment to demonstrating the value of 5G to businesses in Australia.
For the Round 2 grant opportunity there is a total of $20 million available. This round will direct up to $2 million to dedicated projects in the Western Parkland City.
The grant opportunity:
- supports innovative and emerging 5G trials that undertake rigorous, commercial and replicable testing of 5G technology
- offers businesses the opportunity to identify 5G applications that demonstrate 5G’s capability
- supports various projects that demonstrate 5G’s capability and benefits across a range of industry sectors and locations.
Grants up to $2 million to demonstrate the value of 5G technology to businesses in Australia.
You must complete your project by 31 December 2024.
To be eligible your project must:
- conduct trials that undertake rigorous, commercial and replicable testing of technologies that make use of 5G
- identify solutions that demonstrate 5G’s capabilities
- have at least $125,000 in eligible expenditure (we fund 80% of eligible expenditure, $125,000 in eligible expenditure is required in order to receive the minimum grant amount of $100,000).
Eligible activities must make use of at least one of the following core 5G capabilities:
- enhanced mobile broadband
- ultra-reliable, low latency communications
- massive machine-to-machine communications.
The definitions of the core capabilities are in the glossary at section 14 of the grant opportunity guidelines.
You can use this grant funding for:
- the purchase and installation of equipment directly used in the project
- set-up and administration costs connected with the project
- limited research and development costs if 5G applications are pre-commercial and this expenditure can be directly linked to achieving commercial 5G applications during the life of the project
- the cost of an independent audit of project expenditure (where we request one) up to a maximum of 1% of total eligible project expenditure.
You can apply if you:
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- are registered for the goods and services tax (GST)
- can contribute 20% of project expenditure.
You must be one of the following:
- an entity, incorporated in Australia
- a company limited by guarantee
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- a Local Government or State/Territory Government agency or body, where an application involves a partnership with at least one other eligible entity.
Applications close 11 April 2022.