Up to $100,000 is available from Building Stronger Communities Grants Program to improve facilities, governance and long term organisational sustainability.
Building Stronger Communities Grants Program
The Building Stronger Communities Grants Program will provide funding to community-based, not-for-profit organisations to deliver projects that develop or improve their facilities, or improve their governance and long term organisational sustainability. The program provides funds to incorporated not-for-profit community organisations and networks, or unincorporated groups under the auspices of an incorporated not-for-profit organisation.
Brisbane City Council recognises the significant contributions of community organisations in promoting and linking residents to recreation and wellbeing opportunities that positively impact the broader community.
A community facility is a facility that supports community sport, recreational, cultural and social activities and in doing so, helps provide for the physical, cultural, mental and social wellbeing of the community.
By undertaking a project suitable for the Program, your organisation is helping to achieve the Brisbane Vision 2031 for a friendly and safe, active and healthy, and vibrant and creative city.
The Program aims to deliver outcomes in alignment with the Brisbane Vision, which plans for the future of the city.
Projects must deliver one or more of the following objectives:
Categories one and two
- Improve the quality of a facility.
- Increase, maintain or enhance participation and community access.
- Improve the flexibility of the facility so it encourages the development of multi-use, sharing and co-locating facilities.
Applicants must demonstrate that the organisation has the capacity to maintain the improvement works.
- Improve performance across key organisational management capabilities. For example: strategic and operational planning, governance, education and training, management systems to improve finances and membership, or marketing and promotion plans.
Building Stronger Communities Grants Program funding is available for up to $7500 for organisational development grants and up to $100,000 for community facility maintenance or development grants.
There are three categories for funding, with category one and two focusing on facility development and maintenance. Category three focuses on improving organisational development particularly in the area of effective committee management. The categories are:
- Category one: Community Facility Maintenance
- Category two: Community Facility Development
- Category three: Organisational Development.
Building Stronger Communities Grants Program Applicants must be:
- organisations located within the Brisbane City Council local government area where the project outcome benefits Brisbane residents; and
- a not-for-profit incorporated organisation, or be sponsored by a not-for-profit organisation that is incorporated and able to accept legal and financial responsibility for the project or activity.
Preference will be given to organisations on Council-leased sites or Council-owned land.
- applications that involve extending the use of school facilities by the broader community can be made by school-based organisations (including Parents and Citizens’ Associations), protected under the Education (General Provision) Act 2006 (Qld), with an open membership. Applicants with project proposals on school properties must have in place long-term Memorandum of Understanding or Usage Agreement letters from the school detailing the agreed usage arrangements.
- applicants must not have outstanding debts, overdue or un-acquitted grants with Council or outstanding issues with Office of Fair Trading at the time of application.
Applications close 24 September 2018.