What is the Business Event Sponsorship?
The Business Event Sponsorship is a program that provides businesses and organisations with funding to help with the costs of hosting business events within the City of Melbourne.
Business Event Sponsorship provides funding to support businesses and organisations intending on holding a business event (conference, exhibition, convention or meeting) within the City of Melbourne.
The business event must:
- increase the economic impact for the city by attracting more visitors to Melbourne
- promote Melbourne as a destination
- foster a cohesive, smart community by encouraging knowledge exchange, education and diversity
- enhance the profile and reputation of Melbourne as the ‘knowledge city’
- support businesses within the municipality through financial and in-kind investment in events that enhance their networks, income and profile
The program provides support to organisations delivering business events in line with the City of Melbourne’s objectives. The business event must:
- Provide coordinated support for Melbourne’s innovation, entrepreneurship and startup ecosystem through diverse business and industry innovation events to encourage business development and capacity building.
- Enhance the profile and reputation of Melbourne’s knowledge economy by stimulating the business events industry with innovative events that foster a cohesive, smart community.
- Increase economic impact for the city, drive reactivation and stimulate recovery from COVID19 by attracting people to Melbourne and promoting the city as a great destination to do business, study and live.
Sponsorships are offered each year up to the value of $10,000.
The application must:
- Propose to deliver a business event including a multi-day program, conference, exhibition, pitch competition, showcase, demo day, product demonstration, networking, ceremony, awards or meeting of at least 100 people that achieves the program objectives listed above.
- Deliver the business event within the eligibility dates (before 30 June 2022) including demonstrating how any COVID-19 restrictions may impact delivery of the event.
- Deliver the business event within the City of Melbourne municipality boundaries.
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Must be an Australian registered business, sole trader, company, business cooperative or partnership and provide documented evidence of its legal structure.
- Demonstrate how the City of Melbourne will benefit from its proposed event (please refer to the City of Melbourne Council Plan 2021–25 and Economic Development Strategy 2031).
- Demonstrate sustainable business practices in line with the Australian ethical charter.
- Provide evidence of current public liability and professional indemnity insurance policies when requested and maintain these insurances when delivering the event.
- Have no outstanding acquittals or debts to the City of Melbourne or have failed to comply with the terms and conditions of any previous funding agreement or grant from City of Melbourne.
The program will not support applications:
- Where the event is already funded by another City of Melbourne grant or sponsorship.
- From political organisations or that have a political purpose.
- From government departments, agencies of government departments, foundations or grant making bodies.
- That have a primary focus on fundraising or are marketing their own business.
- From current City of Melbourne employees, immediate families and contractors.
- For events that are already receiving financial support from Melbourne Convention Bureau (MCB).
Applications close 19 November 2021.