What is the Business Events Grant Opportunity?
The Business Events Grant Opportunity is a program that program provides delegates, including buyers and sellers, with financial support to attend and participate at exhibitions, conferences and conventions. The initiative will instil confidence back into the business events sector and encourage businesses to return to the event forum.
The Business Events Grant Opportunity was announced as part of the COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund. The fund offers immediate, specific and targeted responses to support the recovery and resilience of regional sectors in distress due to COVID-19. It aims to ease the financial pressure for business event organisers and to incentivise Australian business to participate as buyers/sellers at preapproved events. Funding to support the sustainability of events in government priority areas and cover the cancellation costs that may occur to planned events due to COVID-19 outbreaks is part of the grant program.
The objective of the program is to:
- support delegates that are buying or selling to participate in ‘business events’. Business events includes exhibitions, conferences, and conventions
- promote Australian businesses, including to a domestic audience.
The focus of the program is to support the promotion of Australian business capability, including to a domestic audience, bolster supply chain resilience, enhance industry match making opportunities and Australian product and service value add. Events will need to have a trade element that brings together buyers and sellers.
The Australian Government has announced a total of $50 million in 2020-21 for the program.
Grant funding from $10,000 per entity per application up to a maximum of $250,000.
To be eligible your project must:
- be aimed at supporting delegates that are buyers or sellers to participate in events listed on the Schedule of Approved Business Events
Eligible activities may include:
- exhibition, conference and convention attendance and participation
- activities associated with buyers and sellers for a product or service exchange/promoting their business at the pre-approved event
- networking activities within the pre-approved event.
You can only spend grant funds on eligible expenditure you have incurred on an agreed project as defined in your grant agreement. This includes participation through an event stand or designated space, or a registered delegate participating at an event with the purpose of buying or selling.
All eligible expenditure must relate to the nominated event/s that you are applying for from the Schedule of Approved Business Events.
For exhibitors, eligible expenditure items may include:
- hire of the exhibition space and cost of associated delegates as part of the event conference package for exhibition hire (up to a maximum of 10 delegates)
- sponsorship of an event up to a maximum of $10,000.
- event and display set up costs, including the design, manufacture and shipping of exhibits and expenses related to running a COVID safe exhibit
- promotional material, including program collateral, directly related to exhibiting at the event
- digital promotion, including the setup, display and design of audio visual material up to a maximum of 50 per cent of the non-collateral eligible project costs
- catering for networking activities as part of exhibiting at a pre-approved event
- contractor/s costs associated with exhibiting at a pre approved event.
For delegates eligible expenditure items may include:
- up to four delegate registration/s if you are a nominated buyer and seller participating in an event (defined by the Schedule of Approved Business Events)
- domestic travel limited to the reasonable cost of accommodation and transportation required to conduct agreed project and collaboration activities in Australia. The reimbursement will be in line with the Australian Government accommodation and domestic air travel rates for economy travel
To be eligible you must:
- have an ABN and be one of the following entities:
- an individual (sole trader)
- a partnership
- a company, incorporated in Australia
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- an Industry Association promoting the selling or buying of a product or service on behalf of its members.
The program can only accept applications where:
- you intend to register to attend one or more of the events on the Schedule of Approved Business Events
- your attendance at an approved event will assist your business to do one or more of the following:
- develop your marketplace diversification (particularly to the domestic market)
- improve supply chain value and resilience for the Australian economy
- enhance your ability to pivot to new markets
- support Australia’s regional economy
- your business aligns with a government priority sector and the sector benefits from your attendance and participation in the event
- you have a minimum of $20,000 in total eligible project expenditure
- you can provide evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported, and that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding.
Applications close 30 March 2021.