What is the Catalysing the Artificial Intelligence Opportunity in Our Regions?
The Catalysing the Artificial Intelligence Opportunity in Our Regions is a program that provides businesses with funding to support the development, implementation and demonstration of real-world applications of artificial intelligence technologies.
The Catalysing the Artificial Intelligence Opportunity in Our Regions program aims to fund collaborative projects which support regional industries, businesses and communities to realise the benefits from the development, adoption and use of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.
The program will fund three competitive grant rounds, across 2021-22 to 2024-25. Grants will be awarded to joint partnerships, which must include a lead applicant and project partner(s). To support partnerships with regional organisations, all applications for the program must identify a regional participant, either as the lead applicant or as a project partner (refer to 4.4 Eligibility Criteria).
The objectives of the program are to:
- support the development, implementation and demonstration of real-world applications of artificial intelligence technologies that address challenges in regional area(s) in Australia
- increase the awareness and understanding of real-world artificial intelligence applications, opportunities, benefits and risks in regional area(s)
- develop new partnerships between regional industries, businesses and communities with the Australian technology sector.
The intended outcomes of the program are:
- increased adoption, development and use of artificial intelligence technologies in regional area(s) to lift the competiveness, productivity and sustainability of industry and business
- greater trust, inclusion and awareness of artificial intelligence technologies and their applications in regional area(s)
- to bring forward the potential economic, productivity, social and environmental benefits of artificial intelligence in regional Australian economies and communities, supporting job creation.
The grant amount will be up to 50 per cent of eligible project expenditure (grant percentage). The minimum grant is $250,000 and the maximum is $500,000.
For your project to be eligible, your application must show:
- how your project addresses one or more of the program’s objectives and/or outcomes
- a minimum of $500,000 in eligible project expenditure
- that your application has a project partner
- that you or one of your project partners is a regional participant
- that you provide a letter of support from each of the project partners on the template provided
- evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported
- that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding
- the program provides an accountant declaration template to help you confirms you can fund your share of the project costs, including any ineligible expenditure.
To be eligible you must:
- have an Australian business number (ABN).
You must be an entity incorporated in Australia and a trading corporation, where your trading activities:
- form a sufficiently significant proportion of the corporation’s overall activities as to merit it being described as a trading corporation
- are a substantial and not merely peripheral activity of the corporation.
and independently of the program, engage in, or intend to engage in, either or both of the following activities:
- activities to build artificial intelligence capabilities for businesses and communities
- activities to develop businesses and communities in regional areas.
Applications close 21 February 2022.