What is the Championship Grants?
The Events Tasmania Championship Grants is a program to support events that bring competitors and supporters to Tasmania.
Events are an incredibly important part of the visitor economy. They create a trigger for travel, promote regional dispersal of visitors and generate fantastic stories and images that in turn increase people’s desire to visit Tasmania. Housed within the Department of State Growth, Events Tasmania delivers part of the Tasmanian Government Events Strategy 2015-2020; to deliver a balanced events portfolio that enhances Tasmania’s reputation as a tourism destination.
Established in 2002, the Events Tasmania Grants Program has provided funds to over 1000 events. Funding is available through the Events Tasmania Grants Program this year under the following grant categories:
- Touring grants
- Marketing Tasmania grants
- Championship grants
- One-off Assistance grants
Events Tasmania support and funding programs have been developed to maintain a balanced events portfolio that:
- attracts people to Tasmania; supporting the joint strategy between the tourism industry and government to increase visitor numbers to Tasmania to 1.5 million per year by 2020;
- encourages Tasmanians to move around the state; and
- gets people talking about Tasmania through their own circles of influence.
Championship grants of up to $7 000 are on the table for eligible competitions that bring more than 100 competitors and supporters to Tasmania, who stay in paid commercial accommodation for three nights or more, and are able to promote pre- and post-championship travel within the state as part of their event marketing.
Grants are available to eligible competitions, championships and sporting/gaming events that:
- attract more than 100 people from outside Tasmania
- staying three nights or more in paid commercial accommodation (hotel, motel, B&B, cabin)
- promote pre- and post-championship holidays and regional touring as a part of their event promotion
Applications close 31 May 2021.