$70 M over five years is available for projecst that demonstrate innovation and deployment of new technologies to reduce fugitive emissions from coal mines.
About the program
The Government recognises the long-term viability of the coal mining sector depends on the innovation and deployment of new technologies to reduce fugitive emissions from coal mines.
The objective of the Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) is to maintain and enhance the international competiveness and viability of the Australian coal mining sector under Australia’s carbon pricing scheme and greenhouse constraints that will be tightened overtime to meet Australia’s greenhouse reduction targets.
Funding will be directed at three elements:
- research, development and demonstration of technologies and processes associated with coal mining greenhouse gas mitigation including the measurement and monitoring of emissions, avoidance and abatement technologies. Due to funding limitations demonstrations may be limited to small and medium scale projects;
- work to address safety and regulatory issues associated with the development and deployment of greenhouse mitigation related technologies, equipment and processes; and
- assistance to small and medium coal sector participants to develop abatement strategies or undertake feasibility studies to reduce emissions from current and proposed mines.
The Australian Government is providing $70 million over five years commencing July 2012 to support CMATSP projects and activities.
The application and assessment process of the research, development and demonstration and the safety and regulatory elements of the Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) will be undertaken in two phases:
- Phase One – Pre-qualification phase, based on applicants submitting an expression of interest by completing a pro-forma application form which are assessed by the Department with advice from the TAC; and
- Phase Two – Detailed assessment and funding consideration phase, which commences with an invitation from the Department for applicants recommended after Phase One to submit a detailed project proposal leading to detailed assessment and consideration for funding of the specified project.
Expressions of interest for the first annual round of Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) funding applications can be lodged from 2 July 2012 and must be received by 2.00 pm (AEST) on 28 September 2012.
Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) funding for the first two elements of the program will support merit based grants and the engagement of contractors on a commercial basis. Grant funding will support discrete research projects, multi-year research programs and demonstration projects.
The scale of Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) grants will be around $50,000 to $300,000 for discrete research projects, $500,000 to $3 million for multi-year research programs and up to $10 million for demonstration projects.
Further consultation with small and medium sized coal industry participants will be undertaken to fully develop the third element of the program. Smaller participants will be invited to participate in a roundtable meeting in early 2013 to identify their specific requirements in developing greenhouse gas abatement plans and how these can be supported under the CMATSP.
We have developed numerous successful applications over $25M. We have also participated on multiple government assessmetn panels including the Solar Flagships Program and the Renewable Energy Demonstration Program. Contact us on (03) 9005 6789 or email to see how we can assist your Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) proposal.
We can assist with demonstrating how the Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) project:
- Improves the cost effectiveness of greenhouse abatement solutions.
- Addresses the technology and research priorities
- Contributes to additional mine health and safety risks
- Enhances the skill sets that are needed by Australian industry to deploy greenhouse abatement technologies at coal mines.
- Provides an education and assessment tool that can be used by industry practitioners
- Provides cost effective global solutions that can be deployed at coal mines around the world
We will also work with you to demonstrate how you:
- Have the capacity and the expertise or experience relevant to this project
- The project participants provide value for money
The indicative timetable for the first year of Coal Mining Abatement Technology Support Package (CMATSP) is set out below:
|CMATSP Program Administrative Guidelines and Research Plan published on the RET website||July 2012|
|Call for applications||July 2012|
|EOIs received for RD&D and safety related projects (RD&D projects)||28 September 2012|
|CMATSP Draft Funding Agreement published on RET website||September 2012|
|Assessment of EOIs for RD&D Projects||October 2012|
|Invitations to submit detailed project proposals sent to applicants||October 2012|
|RD&D detailed project proposals received||December 2012|
|Registration of small and medium sized participants||31 December 2012|
|Assessment and approval of RD&D detailed project proposals||31 January 2013|
|Consultations and Round Table Meeting with small and medium sized participants||Jan/Feb 2013|
|Execution of RD&D Funding Agreements||February 2013|
|Assistance arrangements for small and medium sized participants referred to Minister for consideration and approval – process to involve timetable for progressing these arrangements||March 2013|
|Initial funding paid to first RD&D projects||March –April 2013|
- CMATSP Fact Sheet [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][PDF 660KB] | [DOC 184KB]
- CMATSP Program Administrative Guidelines [PDF 291KB] | [DOC 361KB]
- CMATSP Research Plan [PDF 125KB] | [DOC 186KB]
- CMATSP Pro-forma Expression of Interests application form [PDF 103KB] | [DOC 103KB]