Up to $100,000 is available from Commercialisation of R&D Funding to support the translation of Renewable Energy Technology R&D into commercial outcomes.
Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot
ARENA’s Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot supports the translation of Renewable Energy Technology research and development into commercial outcomes, leading to a greater number of solutions for delivering secure, reliable and affordable energy within the next 5 to 10 years.
ARENA’s Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot has been designed in conjunction with CSIRO’s ON Prime program. Interested applicants must participate in ON Prime, which closed for applications on 4 March 2019. ARENA is evaluating the success of this pilot to consider if further rounds will be run.
As part of ON Prime, ARENA will also run a national, one-day renewable energy commercialisation workshop. At this workshop, teams will meet leaders and experts in the renewable energy sector, including industry representatives and potential commercialisation partners. ARENA will make available additional grant support to eligible participants to attend this workshop, please refer to the ARENA Renewable Energy Commercialisation Workshop Participation Scheme Guidelines and Letter Agreement.
The provision of a Grant made through this Funding Initiative is expected to deliver the following outcomes for Renewable Energy Technologies:
- early prototyping of innovative technologies, based on research results
- research teams and/or individual researchers being actively engaged in commercialisation activities
- research teams and/or individual researchers demonstrating increased confidence and capability in planning and carrying out commercialisation activities, and
- strengthening of networks through new contacts made between researchers and commercialisation partners.
To assist the translation process, ARENA will later this year offer up to $1 million in kick-start funding grants of $100K each, for projects of up to one year, to advance the development of a commercially viable product from renewable energy technology developed through R&D.
The Project must be developed from the Team’s ON Prime6 Program participation. Significant changes to the proposed technology under development will not be accepted; however adaptations in focus that arise from changes to the original commercialisation pathway and commercial application, may be accepted.
The Applicant must be able to demonstrate, to the satisfaction of ARENA, that the Project described in the application:
- has aims and outcomes that will contribute to the commercial application of technology that has been developed through research and development
- involves the development of Renewable Energy Technologies that are assessed as being at a Technology Readiness Level (TRL), as described in Part 7 of the Guidelines, of at least 4 at the time of applying, and
- . involves Renewable Energy Technologies, which may include:
- hybrid technologies, and
- technologies (including enabling technologies) that are related to renewable energy technologies.
For the purposes of the Funding Initiative, activities for commercial application:
- are characterised by their commercial focus, with the primary objective of the Project being to advance the development of a commercially viable product through the development of technology and business models
- may include prototype development and production, prototype trials and demonstrations, techno-economic analysis, market analysis, development of commercialisation plans and go to market strategies, where they directly relate to the commercial development of the Project technology, and
- do not include basic or applied research, or establishing proofs of concept.
Applicants may apply for Projects with a maximum length of 1 year. Project applications that exceed 1 year in duration will be considered ineligible.
Activities that may be considered for funding include:
- prototype development and trials
- market research and customer analysis
- techno-economic analysis
- development of a market entry and market uptake strategy.
The Australian research institutions listed below are eligible to apply for the Funding Initiative:
- an Australian university (University)
- the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO)
- the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) including Data61
- the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS)
- the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO)
- Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs)
- National Measurement Institute (NMI), or
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Centres of Excellence.
The application must include a proposed Team that will conduct the Project, that has participated in the CSIRO’s ON Prime6 Program and ARENA’s Renewable Energy Commercialisation Workshop.
Additions and changes to the Team that has participated in the CSIRO ON Prime6 Program may be accepted (at ARENA’s discretion), but the proposal to use a Team with different members must be explained and justified in the Project plan.
The Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilotwill be open to applicants from 5 August to 2 September 2019.