What is the Contemporary Music Touring Program?
The Contemporary Music Touring Program (CMTP) is a grant opportunity that supports national touring by Australian musicians performing original modern music. It provides travel costs for artists and their managers for tours in Australia that include shows in regional and remote areas.
The Contemporary Music Touring Program (CMTP) supports national touring activity undertaken by Australian musicians performing original contemporary music.
If you think you will have difficulty submitting your application online, please contact the Artists Services team at least four weeks before the closing date.
The CMTP is open to applications for funding with some fixed-term adjustments to the guidelines to account for COVID-19 conditions.
These adjustments take account of:
- additional costs that may be required for the safe delivery of tours
- ongoing financial implications of COVID-19
- acknowledging that in some circumstances physical tours may include a portion of digital delivery.
Funding of up to $15,000 is available for artists and their managers for tours in Australia that include performances in regional and remote areas. Up to an additional $15,000 can be requested for tours that meet the conditions for remote and very remote touring.
Under the Contemporary Music Touring Program, performances of original Australian contemporary music can include a wide range of different musical styles.
The tour must comprise of performances in at least three venues or locations outside of the performer’s hometown. Tours that include regional and remote destinations, or which assist performers residing in regional and remote areas to tour, are a priority for funding.
- If your itinerary contains only metropolitan performances, you may request up to $15,000.
- If your itinerary contains at least one regional or remote performance, you may request up to $25,000.
- If 75% of your itinerary is to remote and/or very remote locations, you may request up to $50,000.
- Please note: The minimum grant amount you can apply for is $5,000.
Joint tours, where two or more independent performers are undertaking the same tour itinerary, are eligible under this program. These should be submitted as a single application. In such cases, the funding caps still apply.
You may apply for costs associated with the delivery of COVIDSafe touring. These may include costs such as additional cleaning costs within performance locations or for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to ensure the safety of the touring party.
To take account of the changed touring environment during the COVID-19 pandemic the program will consider applications which include a portion delivered via digital channels.
The program encourage the inclusion of additional activities which extend opportunities for community participation, such as workshops, master classes and all-age performance. This activity must take account of appropriate COVIDSafe protocols.
To be eligible, you must:
- be either a
- touring musician performing original Australian modern music
- performer, manager, agent or music network applying on behalf of professionals working in the Australian music industry
- not have received a grant, or administered a grant, from the Australia Council in the past where the grant hasn’t been satisfactorily acquitted
- not owe money to the Australia Council
Applications close 1 March 2022.