Up to $3M is available to support collaborative research projects that will lead to direct impacts and improve the competitiveness of industries in Northern Australia.
Cooperative Researh Centre (CRC) for Developing Northern Australia
The Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Developing Northern Australia Project Funding Round supports short term industry-led research collaborations to develop important new technologies, products and services which address industry problems in northern Australia in the areas of:
- tropical health and medicine, including models of care; and
- tropical and northern agriculture including animal and plant improvement and sustainability.
The Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Developing Northern Australia was announced as part of the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia. The CRC is a core element of the Australian Government’s agenda for developing the north.
The CRC will assist businesses, governments and researchers to work together to identify opportunities for business and growth in the north. It will be industry led and have an initial focus on areas where the north has particular strengths, including agriculture, food and tropical health. It will bring together industry, research organisations, all northern jurisdictions and international partners in a collaborative industry-led R&D venture.
The CRC Programme aims to:
- to improve the competitiveness, productivity and sustainability of Australian industries, especially where Australia has a competitive strength, and in line with Government Priorities.
- foster high quality research to solve industry-identified problems through industry-led and outcome-focused collaborative research partnerships between Industry Entities and Research Organisations.
- encourage and facilitate Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) participation in collaborative research.
Applications for this funding round can apply for a maximum of $3 million in grant funds over a maximum period of 3 years. There is no option to extend the funding or term of the project.
Projects funded under this funding round must undertake research in at least one of the following areas:
- Tropical Health and Medicine, including models of care.
- Tropical and northern agriculture including animal and plant improvement and sustainability.
The CRC for Developing Northern Australia Project Funding Round and CRC Projects selection round both support short term, industry led collaborative research. However, the CRC for Developing Northern Australia Project Funding Round will only support projects that lead to direct impacts and improve the competitiveness of industries in northern Australia.
Projects funded under the CRC for Developing Northern Australia Project Funding Round will FAQs CRC for Developing Northern Australia Project Funding Round February 2017 2 of 3 need to meet all other operational requirements as CRC Projects as described in the CRC Programme Guidelines.
Applications must be submitted by a lead participant and include at least two Australian industry participants (including at least one SME) and one Australian research organisation.
Participants do not need to be located in northern Australia to be eligibile to apply, but the application must clearly articulate the industry identified challenge for northern Australia that will be solved by the project and also demonstrate how the project outcomes will directly benefit northern industries.
Applications close 22 May 2017.