Up to $50,000 is available from the Creators Fund to help artists and creatives to undertake intensive development, research and/or experimentation in order to create original new works.
The Creators Fund
The Creators Fund paves the way for independent creatives to take their practice and their careers to the next level by providing them with one of the most important and scarce creative resources – time.
Areas of Support
The Creators Fund provides financial support for three to six months to assist in the development of a significant work and to support career advancement. The Creators Fund provides support for creative practitioners to undertake:
- Intensive creative research of new ideas and practice based experimentation.
- Creative development activity pertaining to their creative practice, the development of significant new works and career advancement.
Applications can be for solo activity or activity undertaken by small creative collectives.
Applications are encouraged from a wide range of creative disciplines from across the sector, including but not limited to screen, fashion, design, game design, visual arts, literature, dance, circus, cabaret, music, theatre, multidisciplinary and experimental work.
The Creators Fund aims to:
- Afford practitioners with an opportunity to take time out to focus on their creative practice.
- Provide increased support for the initial stages of the creative development process, encouraging deep research and experimentation to assist creative practitioners in achieving excellence, innovation and advancement in their career.
- Kick start the development of significant creative works.
- Engage with independent artists, creatives and collectives that reflect the diversity of the Victorian community, including individuals and collectives from across metro, outer suburban and regional Victoria.
The Creators Fund aims for the best use and a broad distribution of State Government funds to maximise the benefit for the Victorian creative sector.
Creative Victoria encourages applications from Victorian Aboriginal artists and creatives.
Applications will be accepted for requests between $20,000 and $50,000, for a funded period of between 3 months and 6 months of activity.
Successful applicants will be expected to dedicate the majority of their working time during the funded period to the activity applied for. Planning for time away from additional professional commitments should be outlined in the application.
The Creators Fund accepts applications from individuals and collectives.
The primary focus of the proposal must include Victorian-based individual professional creative practitioners (emerging to established) and/or Victorian-based professional collectives AND a creative idea or activity.
Please note: Creative Victoria will only accept one application per applicant (including as part of a collective or under auspice) in each funding round. Auspice bodies may apply on behalf of multiple applicants.
Individuals employed by State-owned cultural agencies, Major Performing Arts organisations and organisations receiving funding through Creative Victoria’s Organisations Investment or Regional Partnerships Program are not a priority to receive funding through Creator’s Fund.
Individuals undertaking full-time or part-time study are not a priority to receive funding through Creator’s Fund.
Groups of individuals who join together as a collective must be legally constituted or nominate either an individual or an auspicing body to apply, and to take legal and financial responsibility for the grant should one be awarded.
Applications close 7 September 2017.