What is the Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund?
The Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund is a program that will provide industry and education providers with funding to deliver innovative projects that meet local requirements to quickly improve the quality or availability of cyber security professionals in Australia.
As part of the 2020 Cyber Security Strategy, the Cyber Security National Workforce Growth Program recognises skilled cyber professionals are essential for keeping Australians secure online, and to underpin government and industry capability and capacity.
The $26.5 million Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund is part of the Cyber Security National Workforce Growth Program.
Successful applicants under the Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund will work with project partners (industry, education providers and/or government), to deliver innovative projects that meet local requirements to quickly improve the quality or availability of cyber security professionals in Australia.
The objectives of the Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund are to:
- improve the quality or quantity of cyber security professionals in Australia, including increasing the participation of women in cyber security
- improve collaboration between industry and the education sector to build the quality and availability of cyber security professionals in Australia
- support industry and academia to build Australia’s future pipeline of skilled cyber security professionals.
The intended outcomes of the Cyber Security Skills Partnership Innovation Fund are:
- increased availability of cyber security professionals in Australia
- increased quality of cyber security professionals in Australia
- increased participation of women in cyber security professions
- innovative or new ways to improve cyber security skills
- stronger partnerships between industry and education providers to enhance cyber security related skills.
Grants from $250,000 up to $3 million to fund 50% of eligible project expenditure.
To be eligible your project must:
- include eligible activities and eligible expenditure
- have at least $500,000 in eligible expenditure
- be aimed at improving the quantity, quality or pipeline of skilled cyber security professionals by enhancing partnerships between industry, employers, schools and tertiary providers
Eligible activities may include:
- developing and delivering specialist cyber security courses for professionals
- retraining initiatives, to help existing professionals in other disciplines transition to cyber security roles
- establishing cyber labs, training facilities, cyber simulators
- training or professional development for teachers and board executives, including through practical partnerships or exchanges with industry
- establishing student delivered cyber security services
- establishing new scholarships (where at least 50 per cent of your scholarships will be reserved for women)
- establishing new apprenticeships, or apprenticeship-style courses in higher education
- establishing new internships, cadetships, work experience and staff exchanges
- any other innovative ideas to meet the cyber security needs of businesses.
To be eligible you must:
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- be registered for the Goods and Services Tax (GST)
and be one of the following entities:
- an entity incorporated in Australia
- an incorporated association
- an incorporated not for profit organisation
- an Australian State/Territory or Local Government agency or body.
Each application must be a joint application with a lead organisation, who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply, and at least one other project partner.
The program can only accept applications:
- where you can provide evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported, and that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding
- where you provide a letter from each of your project partners supporting the project
- where you include all mandatory attachments as per the application form.
Applications open 02 February 2021 and will close in March 2021.