Up to $3,000 is available to support indigenous athletes participating in national or international competitions.
The Elite Indigenous Travel and Accommodation Assistance Program (EITAAP) is an initiative that is jointly managed by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) and Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C).
EITAAP provides assistance with out-of-pocket travel and accommodation expenses to indigenous sportspeople who are involved in official national championships and international competitions that are endorsed by relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisations (NSO) or School Sport Australia (SSA).
Indigenous sportspeople (including athletes, coaches, managers, officials and sports trainers) who compete in Junior or Open level competitions are eligible to apply for a maximum of $1,000 per financial year to attend national championships, and a maximum of $3,000 per financial year to attend international competitions to assist with out-of-pocket travel and accommodation expenses.
Applicants must note:
- Funding is provided for travel to get to the competition and return home.
- The competition venue must be 200 kilometres or further in distance from the applicants address.
- if flying, the cost of a standard economy airfare can be claimed
- if not flying, the cost of petrol, a coach or trained ticket can be claimed
- Accommodation is only provided for any out-of pocket expenses to the applicant.
- The cost per night cannot exceed $70 per night for national competitions
- The cost per night cannot exceed $100 per night for international competitions
To be eligible to apply for an EITAAP grant, an indigenous sportsperson and their sponsoring organisation must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. Note that if you have not received EITAAP before, you must include a Confirmation of Aboriginality with your application. These documents can be obtained from most local Indigenous organisations, land councils or health centres.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, manager or official in:
- An official national championship endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or School Sport Australia (SSA); or
- An international competition as a member of an official Australian team endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or SSA.
- Be 12 years or older at the time of the competition (exceptions may be made for SSA championships).
- Competing in junior or open level competitions.
- Have completed and submitted an EITAAP application before the event (or within two months of the completion of the event).
- Have out-of-pocket expenses for travel and accommodation, and need to pay these to your sponsoring organisation and/or you are organising the travel and/or accommodation yourself.
Applications will close once the total EITAAP funding has been exhausted.