What is the Experimental Development Program?
The Science and Industry Endowment Fund Experimental Development Program is a grant opportunity designed to address a significant gap in current funding options available for progressing technology development to a stage suitable for attracting commercial investment and market uptake.
The Experimental Development Program will play an important role in the overall Science and Industry Endowment Fund Portfolio, complimenting current SIEF programs and activities.
The Experimental Development Program aims to support research that:
- is at the experimental development end of the research continuum
- translates research for commercial impact
- moves discoveries along the pathway to commercialisation
- accelerates commercialisation and entrepreneurial activities
- ‘de-risks’ for future commercial investors
All amounts referred to are to be read as exclusive of GST (if any), unless expressly stated otherwise. On a case by case basis, SIEF funding under the Experimental Development Program is expected to be in the range:
- $0.25m – $2m total. The total funds requested from SIEF must be met through co-investment by the Lead Applicant (and collaborators) with in-kind and cash contributions.
- over a period of 6 months to 2 years
SIEF funding will be structured in a stage-gated manner based on milestones against expenditure.
Experimental Development Program will fund:
- The construction and operation of a pilot plant as long as the principal purposes are to obtain experience and to compile engineering and other data to be used in:
- Evaluating hypotheses.
- Writing new product formulae.
- Establishing new finished product specifications.
- Designing special equipment and structures required by a new process.
- Preparing operating instructions or manuals on the process.
- Industrial design and drawing required for R&D
- Industrial engineering and tooling up associated with the development of new products
- Trial production required for testing and subsequent further design
- Data collection as an integral part of the research and development.
- Lead Applicant must be an Eligible Organisation in the Industry portfolio (Eligible organisations are: CSIRO, ANSTO, AIMS, Geoscience Australia).
- Research activities must primarily be conducted by the Lead Applicant
- Pre-screening for commercial viability must have been conducted by the Lead Applicant
- Research activities must align with the SIEF Primary Purpose
- Funding will only be available for activities that fall under the definition of ‘Research’; and specifically ‘Experimental Development’
- Application must be endorsed by all Collaborating Organisations and by an authorised delegate
- Lead Applicant/institution and researchers must comply with the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (2018).
- Successful Applicants must enter into a SIEF Funding Agreement by the specified date
Applications open on an ongoing basis.
|Year||Lead Researcher and Organisation||Collaborating Organisations||Project Title||SIEF Funds (lifetime months)|
|2016||Dr Melony SellarsCSIRO||Australian Prawn Farmers Association||RNAi treatment of broodstock to reduce disease impacts in farmed prawns (Prawn RNAi)|
|2016||Dr Keith BristowCSIRO||Sprayable Biodegradable Polymer Membrane Technology for Agriculture (TranspiratiONal)|
Dr Stefan Hrabar
|Hovermap – Intelligent Lidar Mapping and Navigating System for Drones (Hovermap)|
Dr San Hla
|Hydrogen generator for FCV refuelling (H2 Generation)|
Dr Aaron Thornton
Energy Infrastructure Resources
Capturing carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere (CO2Gen)
Dr Paul Breuer
Eco Minerals Research
|Demonstration plant to validate new products for gold discovery (Going for Gold)|
Dr Keith Bristow
|Sprayable Biodegradable Polymer Membrane Technology for Agriculture (TranspiratiONal 2)|
Dr Graeme Moad
Queensland University of Technology
iGlass Pty Ltd
|Development of enhanced PDLC smart glass with improved durability and performance for architectural and automotive applications (SmartWindows)|
Dr Pablo Juliano
Boundary Bend Ltd
Sonosys Ultraschallsysteme GmbH
|Commercial demonstration of megasonic technology for additional virgin olive oil recovery (Megasonics)|
Dr Andrew Bean
|Industrial scale production of enhanced vaccine eggs for commercial influenza vaccine production trials (Vaximiser)|
Dr Andrew Abbott
|Demonstration at scale of carbon fibre production that meets the specifications of Australian manufacturers (CarbonFibre)|
Ms Katie Green
|Scaled production of graphene membranes and development of a demonstration laboratory purification device for commercial trials (GraphAir)||$1,999,771|
Dr Robert Wilson
|Titanium particulates to wire (TiWi)||$1,719,000(24 months)|
Dr Helmut Thissen
|Overcoming fibrotic encapsulation of implantable medical devices (Antifibrotic Coatings)||$680,000(24 months)|