Need help with the Export Market Development Grant?
Call 1300 658 508
The Export Market Development Grant can help you by providing financial assistance for your export business.
The Export Market Development Grant is a scheme developed by the Australian Government in order to help out the small or middle-sized businesses, by providing them financial assistance to establish their export market.
Export Market Development Grants are managed by Austrade, which aims to help out those businesses that are either currently working or aspiring to export products such as goods, services, or intellectual property.
Can you apply for the Export Market Development Grant?
In order to apply for Export Market Development Grant, you must:
- be an Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation, or trust carrying business in Australia
- have an annual income of not more than $50 million during the financial year being claimed.
- have spent at least $15,000 on eligible export promotion activities, during the financial year being claimed. First time applicants may claim the previous 2 years expenditure in their first claim.
- own the product that you are promoting (some exceptions apply)
- have promoted your product for export
What are some of my tips to maximise the
Export Market Development Grant?
Free Instant Download
Your product needs to either be:
- A good made in Australia
- A good made outside Australia where Australia will derive a significant net benefit from its sales overseas
- A service except those specified as ineligible in the EMDG regulations
- A tourism service
- An event held in Australia
- An intellectual property right, that mainly resulted from work done in Australia
- A trademark first used in Australia, or which has significantly increased in value from its use in Australia
- Know-how that mainly resulted from work done in Australia
How the scheme works
The Export Market Development Grant works by reimbursing up to 50% of your total eligible expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000.
Money is first spent and then claimed in the following financial year. The maximum grant for eligible applicants is $150,000 which is subject to funds available in the scheme.
The Export Market Development Grant provides up to eight grants to each eligible applicant. These grants don’t need to be in consecutive years.
If you have already received two grants and are not an Approved Body, you will need to satisfy the requirements of an Export Market Development Grant performance measure in order to be able to receive the subsequent grants.
Members of related companies can apply individually, and the maximum payable amount will be $250,000 per year.
Once Austrade receives your application, it will assess it and determine your provisional grant entitlement. Your Export Market Development Grant will then be paid through a split-payment system, which ensures that spending under the scheme is kept within budget and all eligible applicants receive a grant.
What can you claim?
Eight categories of promotional activities have been established in the Export Market Development Grant scheme:
- Overseas representatives
- Marketing consultants
- Marketing visits
- Free samples
- Trade fairs, seminars, in-store promotions
- Promotional literature and advertising
- Overseas buyers
- Registration and/or insurance of eligible intellectual property
Find out the tricks to maximise your
Export Market Development Grant
Need Help with an application?
The cost to use an Export Market Development Grant consultant is around 10% of the rebate about.
Contact us for assistance with lodging your Export Market Development Grant application.
Read further on Austrade’s website.