What is the First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund?
The First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund is a grant opportunity to help Victorian Aboriginal businesses affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic get back on their feet.
The Victorian Government has announced the First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund – extension to support Aboriginal businesses that have been subject to temporary closure, trading restrictions or otherwise impacted by the coronavirus pandemic (COVID19).
This extension program is for eligible Aboriginal businesses that have not received funding under the First Peoples’ COVID-19 Support Fund that closed March 2021. Businesses that did receive this previous funding may be eligible for an additional automatic payment amount under the Program.
Aboriginal businesses are eligible to apply for funding if they meet the criteria listed below. The program will be administered by the Department of Jobs, Precincts & Regions (the Department).
Eligible Aboriginal businesses can receive a grant of $6000 per Australian Business Number (ABN).
Grants can be used to:
- meet business costs, including utilities, stock, salaries or rent
- seek financial, legal or other advice to support business continuity planning
- develop the business through marketing and communications activities
- address supply chain and logistics challenges
- pivot the business to the current environment
- conduct other supporting activities related to the operation of the business.
Businesses that received financial assistance through the First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund will receive an automatic payment if the business:
- has received a grant under First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund
- has not closed and remains operating in Victoria
- continues to meet the program eligibility criteria under First Peoples’ COVID-19 Business Support Fund
- has not received a grant under the Business Costs Assistance Program/s or the Small Business COVID Hardship Fund.
Only one grant will be awarded to each eligible ABN, regardless of the number of business names attached to that ABN.
This fund is open to Victorian Aboriginal businesses (including sole traders and self-employed businesses) that meet all of the following criteria:
- are a Victorian business (registered in Victoria)
- hold an Australian Business Number (ABN) and held that ABN on 27 May 2021
- are certified as an Aboriginal business through Kinaway Aboriginal Chamber of Commerce
- have a minimum annual turnover of $30,000 (or pro-rata turnover if an annual turnover is not available)
- have been impacted by temporary trading restrictions introduced to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Applications close 7 December 2021.