Up to $5M is available from Gazelle Loan Guarantees to help fast-growth SMEs that need assistance accessing capital to expand their business.
Gazelle Loan Guarantees
Gazelle Loan Guarantees, is a new initiative that aims to drive jobs and business growth in NSW by providing established and scalable, fast-growth businesses with capital to address barriers in accessing sufficient finance from commercial sources.
Fast-growth businesses, collectively known as ‘Gazelles’, have been identified as the new job growth creators in NSW over the last three years. In addition to providing job growth, many Gazelles are known to be innovative, have strong leadership, and potential for growth in international markets, which are all vital contributions to a strong NSW economy.
Jobs for NSW is committed to capturing the growth potential of these expanding small to medium enterprises (SMEs) and creating an ecosystem of entrepreneurship where Gazelles can thrive and continue to create jobs for the industries of the future. Sufficient early-stage funding is a key accelerator of SME growth, however these businesses often face challenges in accessing necessary funds from traditional financial institutions, particularly in cases where standard lending criteria do not capture or address knowledge around innovation, new technology or emerging industries.
To support this SME expansion, Jobs for NSW has allocated $50 million to the Gazelle Loan Guarantee program. Jobs for NSW will guarantee up to 50% of a loan amount from an approved financial institution, up to a maximum guarantee of $5 million, where the loan is used to scale the business and to create new jobs in NSW.
Financial assistance from a Gazelle Loan Guarantee may be used to expand operations through:
- working capital
- scaling of commercialised research and development
- expanding production capacity
- exports and establishing national and international headquarters (if the business headquarters and jobs are created within NSW)
To be eligible for a Gazelle Loan Guarantee, fast-growth businesses must have the following characteristics:
- Be a non-tax exempt company incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) which is registered for GST, and its trading activities must:
- form a sufficiently significant proportion of its overall activities as to merit it being described as a trading corporation
- be substantial and not merely peripheral activities of the organisation
- Or be an individual, partnership or unincorporated trustee who agrees to form a non-tax-exempt company incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) if the application for a Gazelle Loan Guarantee is successful
- Employ a minimum of 10 people (including full-time, part-time and casual)
- Have an annual turnover of between $3,000,000 and $150,000,000 in the most recent financial year
- Have experienced revenue growth or employee growth at a minimum of 20% each year, over the previous three years, including the most recent financial year
- Have ownership, access to, or beneficial use of, any intellectual property that is the subject of, or necessary to, carry out the funded project
- Be a ‘parent’ organisation – that is, not a subsidiary of another organisation
- Have had business operations underway for at least three years
- Not be insolvent or under external administration
- Have all Australian Tax Office (ATO) requirements, payroll tax and superannuation contributions up-to-date.
And must also be able to satisfy the following:
- Have a business plan to expand the business by hiring more staff in NSW.
- Be seeking a loan guarantee of between $500,000 and $5,000,000 for a term of between two and four years to support the business plan.
- Have a relationship with a bank and have commenced discussions regarding a loan.
Applications open on an ongoing basis.
- Program Fact Sheet
- Program FAQs