A program designed to help small-to-medium sized businesses become more sustainable and save money.
Grow Me The Money is an initiative to help small business become more sustainable, and save money on resource usage by following a 12 step program. It’s an introductory environmental management system focused on monitoring, reporting and reducing resource consumption.
Grow Me The Money is best suited to businesses that have access to their energy and water bills and have been operating for at least 12 months.
Grow Me The Money was developed in partnership with the Victorian Employers’ Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI) and Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA Victoria) as part of a Sustainability Covenant. Victorian small to medium sized businesses have been participating in Grow Me The Money since April 2007, with the program available to businesses throughout Australia.
VECCI is Victoria’s most influential employer group, servicing over 15,000 Victorian businesses per annum. An independent, non-government body, VECCI was started by the business community to represent business.
Environment Protection Authority Victoria’s purpose is to protect, care for and improve our environment.
Grow Me The Money aims to help small to medium sized businesses, operating in regional or metropolitan areas who would like to improve their environmental sustainability and their financial bottom line.
Many businesses are conscious of their environmental footprint and are eager to begin implementing environmentally friendly practices but are not sure where to start. Grow Me The Money guides small to medium sized businesses through the steps necessary to implement sustainable business practices and benefit from their efforts.
12 Small Steps for Business
Step 1: Time to get started.
- The first step is about reviewing your current sustainability practices and forming your Green Team.
Step 2: Establish your current usage.
- In Step 2 you’ll enter the details of your utility usage over the past 12 months. This helps you establish a benchmark for improvements.
Steps 3, 4 & 5: Review your waste, energy and water use.
- Over these three steps you’ll access tools to review waste, energy and water usage and develop an Action Plan to help you begin making changes.
Step 6: Complete your Action Plan
- The halfway mark is when you’ll finalise your Action Plan and work with your Sustainability Services Consultant to select the changes that will benefit your business the most.
Steps 7 & 8: Put your plan into action.
- The tools in these steps will help you get processes in place to implement your Action Plan throughout your business.
Step 9: Talk to your supply chain about sustainability.
- In Step 9, use Grow Me The Money templates to communicate your plans to your supply chain, and talk to them about how you can work together for environmental sustainability.
Step 10: Select green products and sustainable suppliers.
- This step you’ll develop green purchasing guidelines for your business, and begin to explore options for buying sustainable products.
Step 11: Market your sustainable, green business.
- In Step 11, you’ll learn how to share information about the actions you’ve been taking through media releases, marketing and PR.
Step 12: Report your achievements.
- The final step is about getting your utility bills up to date, and reporting on what you’ve completed from your Action Plan.
At the end of your 12 steps you will receive a comprehensive report of the financial and environmental savings achieved by your business and a Certificate of Participation recognising your achievements.
Each month you will receive an email reminder providing you with support and guidance. We recommend and have found that on average most businesses complete 1 step per month. However, your business can set its own pace. If you find that you are completing the steps ahead of our monthly email reminder, feel free to continue along the program – you do not have to wait for our email to access the next step online. By the same token, if your business needs more time to complete each step, take the time to work through the year long program at a pace that suits your business.