Up to $15,000 is available from Hamer Scholarships to help Victorians undertake intensive language study at nominated universities or institutions in China, Indonesia, Japan and Korea.
The Hamer Scholarships offer Victorians the opportunity for language study and cultural engagement with the dynamic and exciting markets of China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea.
The Victorian Government Hamer Scholarships Program is a language and cultural immersion program designed to build the Asia-engagement capabilities of Victorians and to help strengthen cultural awareness and partnerships between Victoria and Asia. The program provides scholarships for Victorians to undertake intensive language study at nominated universities or institutions in China, Indonesia, Japan and Korea.
These four leading world economies are making a significant contribution to Victoria’s cultural diversity and economic prosperity. Live and study in China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea and improve language skills and cultural understanding; develop business and people-to-people networks; and contribute to Victoria’s international engagement.
The Hamer Scholarships program provides $10,000 scholarships for China or Indonesia, or $15,000 scholarships for Japan or Korea, for one to two semester study duration (minimum 5-6 months) at one of the nominated institutions in China, Indonesia, Japan and Korea.
The scholarship is to be used for intensive language study related expenses only, including:
- international air travel to and from the elected country
- accommodation and living expenses
- compulsory comprehensive travel insurance
- tuition and related fees
- text books and other study materials
- other study-related out-of-pocket expenses while in the elected country
The Scholarships are a contribution to the recipient’s financial requirements for at least five months of overseas study. Any additional costs will be at the expense of the recipients.
To be eligible for consideration for the Hamer Scholarships, candidates must be:
- aged 21 or above during the time of completing the application
- Australian citizens or permanent residents who are residents of Victoria. Victorians living, working or studying in China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea may also be considered, however preference will be given to those currently residing in Victoria. Proof of age, citizenship or permanent residency is required and will only be accepted in the form of passport identification and permanent residency documentation
- willing to study a language at one of the nominated institutions, for no less than one to two semesters (minimum 5-6 months). Alternative universities, institutions or non-language courses will not be considered
- not in receipt of any other grant, funding or scholarship for study in the elected country
The Scholarships are primarily aimed at people working in public, private, not for profit and creative industries with linkages to China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea. Recent graduates, higher education students and researchers with specific study and/or research links to China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea are also welcome to apply.
Nominated Universities and Institutions
The nominated universities and institutions in China are:
- Nanjing University (Nanjing)
- Jiangnan University (Wuxi)
- Soochow University (Suzhou)
- Nanjing Normal University (Nanjing)
- Sichuan University (Chengdu)
The nominated universities and institutions in Japan are:
- Nanzan University (Nagoya, Aichi)
- Nagoya Gakuin University (Nagoya, Aichi)
- Yamasa Institute (Okazaki, Aichi)
- Aichi Gakuin University (Nisshin, Aichi)
- Waseda University (Tokyo) Centre for Japanese Language
- Aichi Shukutoku University (Nagakute, Aichi)
For Study in Japan:
- Candidates applying for Nagoya Gakuin University are required to undertake a minimum of one year study
- Candidates applying for Aichi Gukuin University need to note the following for application:
- 1 year minimum study
- A guarantor who is a Japanese citizen or permanent resident
- Minimum 110 point of the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) or the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N5 or J.TEST level E
The nominated universities and institutions in Indonesia are:
- University of Indonesia (UI – Jakarta)
- Gadjah Mada University (UGM – Yogyakarta)
- Gadjah Mada University(UGM – Yogyakarta)
- Indonesia University of Education or Pendidikan University (UPI – Bandung)
For study in Indonesia:
- Candidates applying for study in Indonesia must include some form of extra tutoring or language classes in addition to University class time
in order to total 15-20 hours of formal study time per week
- Candidates must include the additional formal study hours in application study plan and
- Candidates studying at the University of Indonesia in Jakarta can apply for evening classes with the Indonesia Australia Language Foundation
The nominated universities and institutions in Korea are:
- Seoul National University (Seoul)
- Korea University (Seoul)
- Yonsei University (Seoul)
For Study in Korea: Hamer applicants must complete 2 terms to be in-country for a minimum 6 months.
Applications close 17 March 2019.