What is the Heritage Tourism Small Grants Program?
The Heritage Tourism Small Grants Program is an initiative which aims to accelerate the development of heritage tourism
experiences and stimulate investment into heritage places.
The South Australian Heritage Grants Program has been in operation since 2018 and has provided $750,000 in funding to help undertake conservation work on heritage listed places across South Australia.
In 2021/22, the Heritage Grants Program has been expanded to include Heritage Tourism Grants that will offer $250,000 in funding to support works which encourage accessible and adaptive reuse of State and local heritage listed places for tourism purposes. This innovative pilot program is a key initiative of State Government’s Growing Our Heritage Future Strategy and Action Plan which was launched on 30 April 2021.
Grants of up to $50,000, provided on a matched funding basis, will support projects that enable the activation and use of State or Local Heritage Places or places within State Heritage areas, for tourism purposes.
Eligible projects will contribute to development of heritage tourism experiences and invest in heritage places or areas to enable the activation and use of State or Local heritage listed places or areas for tourism purposes. Projects might include:
- Construction of facilities and/or significant enhancements to existing buildings or structures, to create unique and high impact visitor experiences.
- Adaptive projects to buildings or structures that result in improved access, visitor engagement with heritage assets and stories, and increased opportunities for tourism.
- New or enhanced visitor experience products supported by professional documentation e.g. concept design, interpretation plan.
The business and new product or experience is (or will be) registered on the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse when completed.
Examples of eligible projects include:
- Façade and external improvements
- Upgrades and adaptive works to enable alternative uses or to address visitor safety, such as installation of fire doors required for accommodation
- Additions and renovations, such as bathrooms and kitchens
- Fit out of a retail space that forms part of a larger visitor experience/attraction, for example a farm/cellar door
- Interpretation projects that enhance visitor engagement with heritage values and stories, and where supported by a professional interpretation plan/concept design.
Eligible applicants include:
- Owners or lessees of State or Local Heritage Places listed in the South Australian Heritage Places Database
- Owners or lessees of businesses or properties operating or seeking to operate in a State Heritage Area listed in the South Australian Heritage Places Database
- Licensees/lessees of State Government Owned Heritage Places listed in the South Australian Heritage Places Database
- Applicants must be a legal entity with an ABN (sole trader, partnership, company or trust)
Applications close 2 December 2021.