What is the International Space Investment India Projects?
The International Space Investment India Projects is a grant program which aims to encourage collaboration between Australian businesses and Indian partners on innovative space-related projects that have the potential to deliver economic and technological benefits to both countries.
The Australian government has opened applications for the International Space Investment India Projects grant program, which aims to promote collaboration between Australian businesses and researchers with Indian partners on innovative space-related projects.
The program is part of the Australian Technology and Science Growth Plan and aligns with the Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy 2019-2028. The International Space Investment India Projects program will be administered over four years, from 2022-23 to 2025-26, with a minimum of 80% of the investment being in Australia. The grants aim to generate employment and business opportunities in Australia and to build valuable commercial links with the Indian space sector.
The International Space Investment India Projects aims to:
- unlock international space opportunities for Australia to work on space projects with India
- expand the capability and capacity of the Australian space sector, and support job creation
- demonstrate the Australian space sector’s ability to deliver space-related products and services internationally
- support projects which help build a vision and a diverse, inclusive Australian space ecosystem that inspires businesses, the Australian community and the next generation of space workforce, researchers and entrepreneurs
- increase investment in the space sector, targeting the Mutual Priority Areas, as described in Appendix A of the grant opportunity guidelines.
The Australian government has announced that $20.69 million will be available for the International Space Investment India Projects stream over four financial years from 2022-2026, with an estimated $18 million available for this grant opportunity.
The grant amount can cover up to 100 percent of eligible project costs, and there is no co-contribution requirement. The minimum grant amount is $1 million, and the maximum grant amount is $10 million.
The eligible projects for the International Space Investment India Projects program are those that involve collaboration between Australian businesses and researchers with Indian partners on innovative space-related projects. These projects should have the potential to deliver economic and technological benefits to both countries, and align with the India Economic Strategy to 2035. The projects should also focus on strengthening bilateral relationships and activities with mutual understanding of common interests and shared values in support of both countries’ prosperity.
Eligible Activities include:
- research and development directly supporting eligible activities with a pathway to commercialisation
- product and service development
- commercialising existing products and services
- process design and engineering
- buying, constructing, installing or commissioning of equipment or software
- training and skills development that directly supports the achievement of project outcomes
- collaboration and partnership development.
You can apply if you:
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- are registered for the Goods and Services Tax (GST)
and are one of the following entities:
- an entity incorporated in Australia
- a publicly funded research organisation (PFRO).
The program can only accept applications where you:
- provide evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board)
- provide evidence of support from your Indian partner organisation/s and that your project has links to India’s space industry and/or supply chains
- provide evidence that a minimum of 80% of the investment will be made in Australia, for the benefit of the Australian space organisations.
Applications close 13 June 2023.