Up to $250,000 is available from LaunchVic Round X to support the development of startup founders and entrepreneurs in the Victorian startup ecosystem.
LaunchVic Round X
LaunchVic’s tenth funding (Round X) grant round focuses on capturing new ideas and initiatives to support the development of startup founders and entrepreneurs in the Victorian startup ecosystem. Unlike LaunchVic’s recent grant rounds, this round is ‘open’ meaning there is no specific focus.
The Victorian Government established LaunchVic in March 2016 to support the development and growth of the local startup ecosystem. Since being established, LaunchVic run two successful funding rounds, supporting 26 projects that will ensure the right startup infrastructure is in place for Victorian startups and entrepreneurs to grow their businesses.
LaunchVic also reviewed our strategy to ensure they are best placed to provide more support to founders and investors, address any identified market failures inhibiting the growth of the startup ecosystem, and meet their goals of:
- engaging the Victorian community in the startup ecosystem.
- positioning Victoria as an internationally recognised startup ecosystem.
LaunchVic is seeking to invest up to $250,000 per application. Applicants will need to demonstrate experience working with and delivering similar programs for startups and/or startup entrepreneurs or investors (if applicable).
Applications seeking funding for meetups, events, hackathons, educational courses, mentoring, bootcamps, incubator programs, accelerator programs will be accepted. Other programs outside of this list will also be considered but check the eligibility criteria.
Your program needs to focus on one or more of LaunchVic’s strategic focus area streams:
Diversity and inclusion to increase community engagement in the startup ecosystem. This stream focuses on more founders to start their own businesses. The stream also aims to support diverse and under represented groups and drive interest in entrepreneurship across all of Victoria.
Capability and excellence to establish Victoria as an internationally recognised startup ecosystem by enhancing founder capabilities and excellence. Activities in this stream focus on ensuring founders and investors have the skills to support the scaling of their businesses.
Leveraging key strengths to establish the State as an internationally recognised startup ecosystem by leveraging Victoria’s existing strengths in health & wellbeing and sports. This stream focuses Victoria’s key (existing) strengths that can be leveraged in positioning the local startup ecosystem as a global leader.
Channel Development to communicate the strengths of the startup ecosystem, locally and internationally. Programs of work will help increase awareness of the Victorian startup community, facilitate engagement within the startup ecosystem, support the generation of content and promote the Victorian startup ecosystem internationally.
The types of organisations that are eligible to apply include a:
- registered company/organisation headquartered in the State of Victoria, Australia; or
- registered company/organisation with an office in the State of Victoria, Australia; or
- registered company/organisation located outside the State of Victoria, Australia proposing a project to be delivered in the State of Victoria.
Please note an organisation with an Australian Business Number (ABN) is defined as ‘registered’. Not-for-profit organisations can apply.
Applicants that are eligible include an established company that has been operating for at least 1 year (include date of registration) with a delivery team that has expertise delivering similar programs to startups or startup entrepreneurs.
Applications close 21 March 2019.
- Frankston Foundry will run PeninsulaHack to bring together the brightest creative, technical and entrepreneurial minds from across the Frankston and Mornington Peninsula community into a festival of activities to educate and innovate.
- Girl Geek Academy to deliver #SheHacks Victoria. This program will run in Melbourne and regional Victoria and include a bootcamp and incubator program to support up to 30 female entrepreneurs to grow their Minimum Viable Product.
- Hume City Council will partner with ygap who will deliver the First Gens accelerator program tailored to the needs of one of the most diverse demographics. This program will support up to 15 migrant and refugee-led social impact ventures to help improve the lives of people living in disadvantage in Australia.
- Impact Investment Group to establish the Impact Angel Network to connect pre-seed and seed stage impact startups to 50 angel investors through an online deal flow platform, events and educational workshops to increase investment into Victorian startups.
- Outcome.Life to create a dedicated marketing campaign to promote InternMatch and drive engagement with more Victorian startups. The InternMatch site connects international student interns with startups. This campaign will help communicate the benefits of taking on an international student intern in Melbourne and regional Victoria.
- Rampersand will provide support for up to 60 diverse founders through events and one-on-one mentoring with a view of securing investment through Rampersand or other VCs. Rampersand will also analyse and diagnose points where founders drop out of the process and publish and promote the findings to encourage greater investment into startups .
- RMIT will deliver a program in partnership with the University of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne to increase the pipeline of startups in Victoria. The program will support up to 50 participants through an immersive educational bootcamp and mentoring program to explore innovative deeptech solutions for real-world problems.
- Startmate will deliver pitch coaching sessions and mentoring events that connect founders to mentors and investors with experience in companies with valuations from $1 million to tens of billions. They will also do this at scale through “Australia’s Biggest Office Hours” which will provide free advisory meetings for founders.
- Startup Victoria to establish peer-to-peer mentoring groups for 50 of Victoria’s most promising Scaling Startup founders and CEOs to share learnings and challenges to accelerate growth. The program will also capture insights into the challenges facing founders as they start to scale.
- Vumero will run meetups to support the Victorian sports data & technology ecosystem by providing a platform for innovative, and cutting-edge companies to present their ideas, concepts and products. The meetups will creat