$350,000 is available to support local health initiatives in the North Western Melbourne region.
Not for profit community organisations are invited to apply for up to $22,000 of funding to support community-based health promotion and prevention projects in the Macedon Ranges and North Western Melbourne region.
Macedon Ranges and North Western Melbourne Medicare Local (MRNWMML) is a primary health care organisation established to coordinate primary health care delivery and tackle local health care needs and service gaps.
A key role of Medicare Locals is to identify the health needs of their community and to develop locally focused and responsive services.
MRNWMML has established a Small Grants Program to support community-based health promotion and prevention projects within its catchment. MRNWMML sees this initiative as an innovative way to support and acknowledge the significant contribution made by local community groups and health providers in improving the health of Northern Melbourne residents.
The aim is to:
- Foster and encourage innovation in the delivery of health promotion and prevention at a community level
- Use and develop the capacity, knowledge, networks, and skills in the community to deliver local health promotion and prevention initiatives
- Support and build on the work already done by local community services
- Raise awareness of local health promotion and prevention needs and issues at a community level
In early 2013, MRNWMML conducted an initial needs assessment which identified a number of priorities:
1. Mental Health / Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD)
2. Diabetes and Cardiovascular
3. Acute / Primary Care Interface / eHealth
4. Access to Quality Services: Refugees, GPs, Allied Health, Aged Care
5. Health Literacy
6. Screening & Early Intervention: Cancer, CKD, Heart
7. Musculoskeletal conditions
9. Breastfeeding support
See separate needs assessment presentation for additional information.
Organisations that are incorporated as not-for-profit entities are eligible to apply.
For-profit entities such as Sole Traders, Proprietary Limited Companies and Public Companies are eligible to apply, provided the project proposal is not for profit.
Organisations must be based in or provide services to people in the MRNWMML area. Applicant organisations may form partnerships or a consortium with other organisations located outside the MRNWMML catchment.
Projects must aim to address at least one of MRNWMML’s priorities identified in the Needs Assessment.
Projects must take place within MRNWMML’s boundaries.
Projects must be completed by end of June 2014.
Applications must be submitted using the MRNWMML Small Grant Program Application Form.
Applicants must have current Public Liability insurance cover to a minimum of $20 million. (Evidence is required as part of the application).
The MRNWMML Small Grants Program will not fund:
- Any project that does not meet the eligibility criteria.
- Projects that are core activities or services of the applicant organisation.
- Projects or initiatives that duplicate those that are already being offered within the same community.
- Projects or activities that are the primary responsibility of other funding agencies or government departments.
- Projects of a commercial nature, i.e. for profit, or that raise funds for philanthropic purposes for other organisations.
- Projects where the applicants are in a position to self-fund or where a more appropriate funding source is available.
- Capital resource or equipment unless demonstrated that it is a vital part of the project and benefits the wider community.
- Administration costs, including ongoing operating costs of the organisation, in excess of 10% of the grant funds.
- Events or conference sponsorship, prizes or award ceremonies.
- Debt repayments for an organisation.
A total funding pool of $350,000 excluding GST is available for 2013 to 2014 for the Small Grants Program. Eligible not-for-profit organisations are invited to apply for grants of between $2,000 and $20,000 (excluding GST) for one year.
Successful applicants will receive 75% of the approved grant amount at the start of the project, with the remaining 25% provided on approval of the final project report.
How to apply
- Review the grant guidelines and needs assessment
- Download the application form the MRNWMML website
- Complete the application form and budget and submit by 5pm AEST, Friday 20 September 2013 by email to Ava Bissett [email protected]
The grant money can be used for a range of purposes with preference given to projects that:
- are innovative
- are well researched and will have the most impact on the community’s health
- will have an ongoing benefit for the community
- target disadvantaged members of the community
- have a comprehensive and realistic budget and where the applicant organisation is contributing financially or in kind
- have clear objectives and evaluation measures
Collaborate bids are encouraged.