Up to $6,000 is available for national or international sport championships being held in Tasmania.
The National / International Sport Championships Program provides grants to eligible organisations to assist in meeting costs associated with hosting a national or international sport championship event within Tasmania.
The Department of Premier and Cabinet’s (DPAC)’s Communities, Sport and Recreation (CSR) administers a range of Tasmanian Government grant programs that aim to improve opportunities for Tasmanians to participate in sport and active recreation.
The National / International Sport Championships aims to promote and develop sport by encouraging national and international level competition in Tasmania.
Approximately $40 000 will be available for allocation in 2016-17. As limited funding is available, organisations will be funded on a ‘first-in’ basis.
A maximum of $6 000 is available per organisation and per sport during 2016-17. Where a sport, as defined by the Australian Sports Commission, has one national sporting organisation but multiple disciplines/organisations, the total amount of funding available to that sport will be limited to $6 000.
Funding limits are detailed below:
- $1 000 for championship events held on a single day or for one or more stage(s) of a national or international championship series; and
- $3 000 for one championship event held over two or more consecutive days
To be eligible, a national or international sport championship event must be:
- conducted on behalf of the national sporting organisation (a national sporting organisation is recognised as such by the Australian Sports Commission);
- a competition between a minimum of four states and/or territories;
- a competition recognised as a national or an international sport championship; and
- an event where one or more national or international champions are declared, or national points are awarded.
To be eligible for funding, the organisation conducting the national or international sport championship event must be:
- the state sporting organisation taking responsibility for the administration and development of a sport in Tasmania, and affiliated with a national sporting organisation, who in turn is recognised by the Australian Sports Commission, and recognised by the sport’s national sporting organisation as the state sporting organisation for the sport in Tasmania;
- an Australian Sports Commission recognised national sporting organisation operating under a unitary model of governance delivering the sport in Tasmania;
- an incorporated, not-for-profit organisation or a non profit company registered under company law.
Applications close 31 March 2017 or when program funds are exhausted.
- National/International Sport Championships Program Guidelines and Application Form 2016-2017
2015-16 National / International Sport Championships Program Recipients
A total of $40 000 was allocated under the 2015-16 National / International Sport Championships Program.
Details of the successful applicants and their championship(s) are provided below.
|Australia Deaf Netball Association||National Deaf Netball Club Championships||3 000|
|Australian Disc Golf Incorporated||Australian Disc Golf Championships||3 000|
|Canoe Tasmania Inc||2016 Australian Wildwater Racing Championships,|
2016 Australian Slalom Championships,
and 2016 Australian All Schools Whitewater Championships
|Tasmanian Cricket Association Inc||Under 15 Female National Championships||3 000|
|Tasmanian Croquet Association Inc||Australian Golf Croquet Championships||3 000|
|Tasmanian Cycling Federation||Junior Track Championships,|
Mersey Valley Tour,
Round 3 National Junior Track Series;
and Tour of Tasmania
|Tasmanian Squash Racquets Association Inc||Australian Junior Open Championships||3 000|
|Tasmanian Yachting Association Inc||International 2.4m Australian and World Championship,|
International B14 Class Australian Championship,
International Dragon Australian Titles (The Prince Phillip
Cup), Australian Lightweight Sharpie National
Championship, and Australian Sabre Class National
|Triathlon Tasmania Inc||Oceania Continental Cup Race, Para-triathlon Oceania|
Continental Championship Race, and Australian Junior
Triathlon Championship Race
|Weightlifting Tasmania Inc||Australian Masters Weightlifting Championship||3 000|