What is the Parks Revitalisation Grants Program?
The Parks Revitalisation Grants Program is part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to create more than 6,500 hectares of parklands and trails across Melbourne. It will fund upgrades to existing local parks and reserves.
The Local Parks Program creates green spaces for local communities to relax, enjoy and play in. Pocket parks provide communities in dense, urban areas with the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of green open space that they may otherwise miss out on.
The Local Parks Program will provide funding for:
- 25 new pocket parks
- 16 off-leash dog parks
- $10 million towards revitalisation of existing parks with facilities such as new and improved playgrounds, landscaping, picnic and toilet facilities.
The Parks Revitalisation Grants Program aims to:
- increase recreation and socialising opportunities for local communities
- increase the amount of usable open space to meet expected urban population growth over the next 30 years
- promote the number of park visitors for recreational and social purposes by providing park amenities such as shelters seating, barbeques, playgrounds, shading
- help increase safety and enhance accessibility for diverse user groups
For more information about the assessment criteria, funding conditions and the application process please refer to the guidelines.
The total Program funding available is $10 million in one funding round, with all projects to be completed by 30 June 2022. Grants of a maximum value of $300,000 per project are available to successful applicants.
The following types of upgrades will be considered:
- facility upgrades
- demolition of old assets
- clusters of trees and other vegetation
- water bodies and treatments
The Parks Revitalisation Grants Program is open to all councils in metropolitan Melbourne.
Applications are to be submitted through the grants online portal.
Applications close 9 September 2020.