Call 1300 658 508
What is the Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre?
The Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre is a program that provides up to $14 million to grow Australia’s renewables technologies industry and establish Australia as a leader in renewables technologies.
The Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre program will run over four years from 2023-24 to 2026-27.
The Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre program was announced as part of the Australian Made Battery Plan to create more jobs and greater wealth for the nation by manufacturing batteries onshore. The program will complement the Australian Made Battery Plan by establishing the Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre (PAIGC), which will support Australian businesses in developing and adopting new renewable technologies, including batteries.
The objective of the Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre program is to establish the national PAIGC to:
- support businesses looking to locally manufacture renewable technologies and commercialise local ideas
- encourage connection between critical minerals producers and renewables manufacturers
- facilitate partnerships between governments, research institutions, and industry to drive the development and adoption of renewable technologies in Australia
- support businesses in navigating battery regulatory barriers, and
- support First Nations businesses to contribute to the development of renewable technologies through engagement of a First Nations Business Advisor.
The intended outcomes of the Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre program are to:
- grow Australia’s renewables technologies industry and establish Australia as a leader in renewables technologies by:
- increasing the development and adoption of renewable technologies and processes across Australian industries and firms
- increasing domestic demand for renewable technologies
- increasing Australia’s competitiveness in international renewable technologies markets
- upskilling workers to service the renewable technologies industry
- uplifting capabilities of businesses to overcome battery regulatory barriers
- developing domestic end-to-end battery and other renewables supply chains.
- increase First Nations business participation in the development of renewable technologies
- support Australia’s emission reduction targets by driving industry’s transition to clean energy through the adoption of new technologies
- support economic growth and job opportunities within the renewable technologies industry.
Call 1300 658 508
The grant amount will be up to 60 per cent of eligible expenditure up to a maximum of $14 million. You are responsible for the remaining eligible and ineligible project costs.
Contributions to your project must be cash. You cannot use funding from other Commonwealth, state, territory or local government sources to fund your share of eligible expenditure.
The Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre supports a wide range of eligible projects within the energy resources sector. These projects are aimed at driving innovation, productivity, and competitiveness in the industry. Here are some examples of eligible projects that Powering Australia may support:
- Research and Development Initiatives: Projects focused on advancing research and development activities within the energy resources sector, including exploring new technologies, improving existing processes, and finding innovative solutions to industry challenges.
- Technology Commercialisation: Projects aimed at commercialising emerging technologies, such as clean energy solutions, automation, digitalisation, and data analytics, to enhance productivity and sustainability within the industry.
- Skills Development and Training: Initiatives focused on enhancing the skills and capabilities of the workforce in the energy resources sector. This can include training programs, apprenticeships, upskilling initiatives, and workforce development strategies to address industry-specific needs.
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Projects that foster collaboration between industry participants, research organisations, universities, and government agencies. This can involve joint ventures, research partnerships, knowledge sharing initiatives, and industry-led networks to drive collective growth and innovation.
- Market Access and International Expansion: Projects aimed at facilitating market access and supporting the expansion of Australian energy resources companies into domestic and international markets. This can involve market research, export promotion, business development activities, and trade missions.
- Sustainability and Environmental Initiatives: Projects focused on enhancing the sustainability performance of the energy resources sector. This may include initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve energy efficiency, promote environmental stewardship, and support the transition to renewable energy sources.
- Supply Chain Optimisation: Projects aimed at improving supply chain efficiency, optimising logistics, and enhancing collaboration between industry stakeholders to streamline operations and reduce costs.
To be eligible for the Powering Australia Industry Growth Centre program, you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be non-income-tax-exempt
- be registered for the Goods and Services Tax (GST); and
- be one of the following entities:
- an entity, incorporated in Australia
- a company limited by guarantee
- an incorporated association
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth)
- a co-operative
- a partnership
- a joint (consortia) application with a lead organisation
Call 1300 658 508
Applications close 19 June 2023.