What is the Rapid Response Skills Initiative (RRSI)?
The Rapid Response Skills Initiative (RRSI) is a grant opportunity to assist individuals who have lost work due to retrenchment, downsizing or business closure as a result of COVID-19 to reskill and connect to work.
To support Tasmanians in these challenging times, the existing Rapid Response Skills Initiative will be expanded to help redeploy people who have lost their job as result of the impacts of COVID-19.
An additional $6.3 million is being made available to support individuals who have lost their job as a result of COVID-19 to access immediate support to connect to work or training. The program assists workers find a new job or retrain for a new career, and link them with services that can help navigate options.
The Rapid Response Skills Initiative assists individuals to be reskilled and to connect to jobs in industries where there is immediate and emerging demand.
Funding of up to $3000 is available.
You are ELIGIBLE if:
- you have lost casual, full-time or part-time work in the last 12 months due to retrenchment, downsizing or business closure; and
- you can provide written evidence of job loss, redundancy or retrenchment in the form of
- a Centrelink Employment Separation Certificate clearly stating the reason for job loss, or,
- a notification of redundancy or job loss such as a letter/email from your employer which includes contact details for Skills Tasmania to verify your eligibility if necessary; or
- if you are self-employed – that is, a sole-trader or a partner in a partnership – and can provide written evidence of business closure such as cancelled GST registration or ABN; and
- you are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident with a Tasmanian residential address; or
- if not a Permanent Resident, you meet the VISA classes described by checking the “Visa Status and Eligibility Requirements” document.
Careers Advice – someone to help you get back to work sooner
It is strongly recommended that you choose to work with a Careers Advisor to help explore the best training and employment opportunities available to you. The list of RRSI approved Career Advisors for you to choose from is HERE.
Funding can be accessed to work with your preferred Careers Advisor, and their support will include:
- personalised assistance to update your résumé;
- providing you with an overview of the Tasmanian industries and occupations in demand, and the jobs that are best suited to you; and
- help for you to choose and enrol in the best RRSI training program to get you into work.
Training Program – the best training options to get you back to work sooner
The only training options that will be considered for funding include:
- nationally accredited and vocational education and training courses, individual units or skills-sets;
- occupational tickets and licences; and
- non-accredited training that is industry recognised and in an area of skill and employment demand – and approval or otherwise will wholly be at the discretion of Skills Tasmania.
Payment Method – funding is provided directly to training providers
Applications open on an ongoing basis.