Call 1300 658 508
Companies are able to get funding based on their future R&D Tax Incentive rebate, known as R&D Finance.
R&D Finance is basically a loan that companies get for conducting the R&D tax incentive. A company will seek out a program that is willing to load them money after confirming the work they do will satisfy R&D eligibility criteria.
R&D Finance will provide you with an advance payment that is to be made to you through a future credit from the government.
Why would someone seek R&D Financing?
The R&D Tax Incentive can return up to 43.5% of money spent on R&D activities.
The core part of the claim, however, is that you have to spend the money first.
Companies who are in financially dire situations or who cannot wait up to 12 months to see the rebate on funds can engage a third party for an immediate credit.
In order to keep R&D activities going, some companies often resort to a number of different options for financing.
R&D Finance allows you to continue development without having to compromise the development.
The benefits of R&D Finance are:
- Early accessing to R&D funding – You won’t have to wait till the end of the financial year to receive the grants you were entitled to and can access funds immediately. This will allow you to continue development, unlock better growth prospects and develop the business further.
- Funding management – R&D Finance is not always released in one go. Often, it will be staggered and planned for slow release over the course of the year’s development. This can allow businesses to better milestone their projects and manage funding trajectory, rather than dealing with yearly lump sums.
- Retain control of the company – In attempting to raise funding or gather investment interest to secure development money, some companies will turn to capital raising and the selling of equity. This can dilute control and disperse the eventual profits while a company is still in crucial development stages. R&D Finance allows companies to retain control of the company and its profits.
- Focus on company growth – Since raising capital is no longer a problem for your business, you can now dedicate your entire focus upon the growing and widening the scope of your business to gain more profits.
- Technology decay – Small businesses often have to spend a large amount to deploy technologies in order to carry out better research; however, the longer a company waits to deploy these technologies, the more it costs their business, in an effect which is called “technology decay”. R&D Finance can eliminate this by allowing for uninhibited development.
What is the process for accessing R&D Finance?
The process for accessing R&D Finance is fairly simple, and most companies will have a defined checklist.
- Introduction – Try and speak to some of the R&D lending representatives in order to get yourself acquainted with the process you will be following, as well as the people you would be working with.
- Submission of Documents – The R&D lending firm would hand over a due diligence checklist to you, which contains a list of documents you are required to submit. As soon as you submit the required documents, work on your demand will commence.
- Answering additional questions –The R&D lending representatives will have a series of questions for you in order to verify your expenditures and claim.
- Dispatch of a Letter of Comfort – As soon as the representatives are satisfied, they would dislodge a letter of comfort, which will point out the R&D rebate expected as well as forecast the additional R&D to be spent for the year.
- Dispatch of Loan Documents – The documents containing details about the loan you are going to receive will be formed and then handed over to you
- Changing the bank details for tax return – Now that you have exchanged your tax credits with a loan, bank details on the company’s tax return would be changed so that the R&D lending firm would now receive the R&D rebate. A relevant tax representative would confirm the changes.
- Funds released – And that’s it. You would now receive the funds that you were entitled to. The entire process takes around 48 hours, which is considerably faster when compared to the twelve-month waiting period accompanied by a tax credit.
Most R&D Funding firms have no application fee; however, they charge an establishment fee which is 3% of the rebate as well as an additional 1.25% interest rate on monthly installments.
R&D Finance solutions are overall cheaper than selling off the equity to gain capital. Overall, the entire process can provide approximately 75-80% of the accrued rebate.
R&D Funding Lenders to consider are:
- R&D Lending
- Paddington St Finance
- Rocking Horse
- R&D Capital Partners
- Greenard Willing Structured Products
- Metamor Capital
The providers of R&D Finance are firms which operate after achieving an Australian Financial Services License (AFSL).
Find Out How to Maximise Your R&D Funding
Call 1300 658 508
Maximise your R&D
Having worked as an R&D consultant for a number of years, I have seen how companies can legitimately increase their credit.
Contact us for assistance with lodging your R&D claim.