What is the Regional Airlines Funding Assistance?
The Regional Airlines Funding Assistance is a program that will assist airlines operating services to regional and remote locations to continue to provide essential air links by providing financial cashflow assistance where required according to the criteria in the Grant Guidelines. The funding is a ‘last resort’ option when a range of other strategies to manage an airline’s financial position have been undertaken
The Regional Airlines Funding Assistance will run over 6 months from 1 April 2020 to 30 September 2020. The program was announced as part of the Australian Government’s response to the economic impact of COVID-19 and in response to its unprecedented and likely sustained impact on the domestic airline industry.
Airlines apply to be considered for financial assistance during the period of the program. If approved, a grant agreement is entered into with the Department for the period to 30 September 2020. The airline then considers if or when it submits a claim under the agreement. It is anticipated this would be no more frequently than monthly, with flexibility given the changing environment, and would not occur every month.
The Australian Government has announced a total of $100 million across 2019-20 and 2020-21 for the Program. This grant opportunity will open on 1 April 2020, with funding available until 30 September 2020.
The amount of the grant will be the subject of negotiation with the airline based on financial information provided with the application. This amount may be varied over the course of the agreement. It is anticipated that most grants will be between $100,000 and $5,000,000, depending on the complexity of the airline’s operations and financial and cashflow position.
The grant funds must be used to support the continuing operation of your airline for eligible air service activities as defined under 4.1 of the guidelines, and in accordance with the grant agreement at the time of each.
You can only spend the grant on eligible expenditure you have agreed with the Department under the grant agreement with the Department at the time of each claim.
To be eligible you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be registered for the purposes of GST
- have an account with an Australian financial institution
- be one of the following entity types:
- a company incorporated in Australia
- a company incorporated by guarantee
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- a partnership
- a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
- be compliant with all relevant statutory and legislative requirements
AND satisfy the following eligible air service activities criteria:
you must either:
- have an Regular Public Transport RPT Air Operator’s Certificate (RPTAOC) and operate public commercial air services to/from regional and/or remote location(s) in accordance with your RPTAOC; or
- be a contracted essential service provider to/from regional and/or remote location(s), including but not limited to, contracted aeromedical services.
Applications close 01 September 2020.