Up to $1.05M is available from Rugby World Cup 2027 Foundation Bid Planning Grant to support for a bid to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia.
Rugby World Cup 2027 Foundation Bid Planning Grant Opportunity
The Rugby World Cup 2027 Foundation Bid Planning Grant Opportunity will support a planning phase for a bid to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia.
The Rugby World Cup 2027 Foundation Bid Planning Grant Opportunitycontributes to the achievement of outcomes under Program 3.1: Sport and Recreation. The Australian Government aims to increase participation in sport and recreation activities by all Australians, foster excellence in Australia’s high-performance athletes, protect the integrity of Australian sport, showcase Australia as a premier host of major international sporting events and improve water and snow safety.
The Rugby World Cup 2027 Foundation Bid Planning Grant Opportunity has been established as a one-off or ad hoc grant. The Department of Health considers that this is an appropriate type of selection process considering the nature of the grant is dependent on developing a competitive bid proposal within short selection timeframes. The preliminary bid to host the event will be considered by the Rugby World Cup 2027 selection committee from 20 September to 9 November 2019. Rugby Australia has been targeted to bid for the 2027 Rugby World Cup as the peak national sporting organisation (NSO) and governing body for rugby union in Australia, as well as a member of World Rugby, the sport’s international governing body.
The objective of the grant is to:
- support a bid planning process to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia.
The intended outcomes of the grant are to develop:
- a bid strategy to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup; and
- a financial and operational framework to assess viability and assess potential benefits from hosting the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia.
This grant will be administered by the Community Grants Hub on behalf of the Department of Health.
The grant is to be undertaken in accordance with the Commonwealth Grants Rules and Guidelines (CGRGs).
The Australian Government has announced a total of up to $1.049 million (GST exclusive) to support a bid planning process to host the Rugby World Cup 2027.
For this grant opportunity, $1,049,000 (GST exclusive) is available in 2019-20.
To be eligible, you must develop a planning process to bid for the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia, which includes:
- strategic analysis, including consultation with potential event partners;
- detailed modelling of financial costs and benefits;
- relevant stakeholder engagement;
- a marketing strategy; and
- assessment of national infrastructure and operational facilities.
Costs that the grant can be used for are:
- salaries and wages for support staff, including a bid team and consultants;
- international and domestic travel;
- marketing and promotion;
- media strategy and public relations; and
- accounting fees.
The decision maker makes the final decision on what is eligible expenditure and may give additional guidance on eligible expenditure if required.
Further details of the costs associated with the grant activity will be outlined in the grant agreement.
To be eligible to apply you must be the listed organisation.
Name of Organisation: Rugby Australia Ltd (ABN 36 002 898 544)
Rugby Australia is invited to apply for this grant opportunity as it has been assessed to have:
- capability to deliver the project activities in the project locations;
- existing infrastructure and relationships to support the project activities; and
- knowledge of, and capability to deliver the project objectives and outcomes.
Rugby Australia is an NSO with established community sporting and infrastructure networks that will be leveraged during the development of the bid strategy. Rugby Australia (then known as the Australian Rugby Union) successfully hosted the 2003 Rugby World Cup, and annually hosts international rugby union tournaments to a world class standard.
The project will operate as a proposal with constrained financial and time parameters to deliver a bid for consideration to host the Rugby World Cup 2027. There is no guarantee of continued funding once the bid is submitted. If a decision is made to expand the bid proposal beyond the planning phase, a competitive grant opportunity will be considered.
Applications close 12 September 2019.