Up to $25,000 is available from School Shade Grants to protect students from harmful UV radiation or skin cancer.
School Shade Grants
The School Shade Grants Program is a grants program that provides grants for shade development in schools. The Program is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). The aim of the Program is to reduce Victorians’ exposure to UV radiation by increasing shade in public places across the state and by promoting uptake of sun protective practices.
Funding under the Program is highly competitive. Based on previous rounds, one in four grant applications were successfully awarded a grant. It is expected that more applications will be received than can be funded.
Schools may apply for one grant of up to $25,000 (excluding GST). This may be applied over one or multiple campuses, however the total grant must not exceed $25,000 (excluding GST) per application.
The Program provides funding for:
- new permanent shade
- repair or replacement of existing permanent shade
- natural shade
- sun protective items.
Schools may apply for a combination of new, repair/replacement, natural shade and sun protective items. Each application may apply for shade for up to two sites.
The Program will also fund items such as:
- reasonable site preparation costs
- costs associated with gaining relevant permits and approvals
- consultation fees including architects and arborists
- shade assessments
- design and engineering fees.
Schools are encouraged to use local suppliers, services and materials where appropriate. DHHS encourages the support of local businesses and services for expenditure of grants monies provided.
All Victorian Government schools are eligible to apply. This includes Government primary, secondary, P-12, special and language schools. The proposed shade development must be located at a school campus within Victoria.
Schools will only be eligible for funding if they can meet the following criteria. These eligibility requirements must be confirmed during your application.
- Your school is a Victorian Government school and funding is for school campus site/s within the state of Victoria
- The project does not require an ongoing commitment of funds from the Program
- The project is not considered routine/ cyclical maintenance works
- Your school has support/approval from other organisations who share facilities or grounds (if applicable)
- Your school has support/approval from the Department of Education and Training for projects that permanently impact property (if applicable)
Applications close 18 September 2019.