Up to $300,000 is available from Significant Sporting Events Program to help sporting, community and event organisations deliver significant sporting events in Victoria.
Call 1300 658 508
Significant Sporting Events Program
The Significant Sporting Events Program assists sporting, community and event organisations to deliver sporting events in Victoria. The program, through the Event Assistance Grant and Event Development Grant categories, provides funding support for events that are at a national or international level and are supported or sanctioned by a recognised sporting authority.
The Strategic Event Planning Grants provides funding support to develop strategic plans that seek to identify future events that could be hosted in Victoria and the requirements to do so.
The Significant Sporting Events Program is designed to:
- attract and retain national and international sporting events to Victoria that enhance the reputation of the state as a host of events
- showcase elite level sport
- support and provide high performance pathways
- align with and support state and national sporting bodies strategic plans
- build capacity in sports and regional communities to attract larger national and international sporting events in future years
- encourage participation and sport development programs
- strengthen a sport’s position on the national and international stage
- support Victoria’s visitor economy through economic benefits and branding opportunities
- provide opportunities for Victorian teams and individuals to compete on home soil.
Event Assistance Grants
Grants of up to $20,000 are available under the Event Assistance Grant category. This category is for event organisers seeking funding support to assist with the general operational costs associated with hosting events.
Event Development Grants
Grants are available under the Event Development Grant category. Grants under this category can be used for developing or expanding events, or for events seeking funding to assist with high operational costs (more than $200,000). Typically, funding of up to $150,000 per event will be available to event organisers. Higher amounts will be considered on a case by case basis.
Strategic Event Planning Grants
Grants of up to $20,000 are available under the Strategic Event Planning Grant category. Grants under this category will be provided to state and national sporting bodies to develop strategic event plans that seek to identify future events that could be hosted in Victoria and the requirements for doing so. Strategic event plans produced under this category must be consistent with the sport’s strategic plan.
A funding ratio of SRV$1:Applicants$1 will apply.
The Significant Sporting Events Program will support sporting events that demonstrate an international or national component, or that will assist in meeting outcomes of a state or national body’s strategic plan.
Grants from this program can be used for:
- international or national open championships
- international or national youth or masters events
- international or national events for disadvantaged groups
- international or national events for culturally diverse groups
- one-off international or national sporting matches
- events that support the outcomes of a state and/or national body strategic plan.
In addition, the Victorian Government has a focus on hosting events in regional Victoria. Favourable consideration will be given to applicants who host national and international sporting events in regional Victoria.
Consideration may also be given to events that are not at a national or international level, but are held in regional Victoria and attract large numbers of participants; have demonstrable impacts on the local economy; and generate significant media coverage and publicity for the region in outlets that are external to that region.
Applications may relate to single sport or multi-sport events.
The following organisations can apply for funding:
- state sporting associations (must be recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria)
- national sporting organisations (must be recognised by the Australian Sports Commission)
- private event organisations (sanctioned or supported by a national sporting organisation and/or a state sporting association)
- local government authorities
- other not-for-profit organisations (sanctioned or supported by a national sporting organisation and/or a state sporting association)
- local sporting clubs and associations (must be affiliated with the state sporting association recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria)
- sport conference organisers
In addition, to be eligible for funding applicants must:
- be an incorporated body, cooperative or association (including business associations)
- possess an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be financially solvent.
Call 1300 658 508