What is the Small Business Digital Champions?
Small Business Digital Champions provides small businesses with funding for a digital transformation of their business.
The program aims to show how diverse small businesses are in Australia and how embracing digital technology can help improve any type of business.
Applications will be assessed in terms of the:
- digital maturity of the business
- lifecycle of the business
- location of the business (rural, regional or metropolitan)
- number of employees or sole traders
- industry and business type
- indigenous businesses
Starting in early 2019, the Small Business Digital Champions Project will provide 100 small businesses with a digital makeover valued at up to $20,000. 15 of these small business owners will be selected to become Digital Champions, taking their digital journey in the public spotlight, and receiving mentorship from successful Australian entrepreneurs. These sector-specific case studies will provide inspiration and practical insights to small business owners around the country on how to ‘go digital’.
This initiative will also fund 15 industry associations to provide sector-specific advice to small businesses that want to go on this digital journey.
Funding is up to $20,000.
Only 100 small businesses will receive a digital transformation, and of these, 15 will be selected to receive personalised one-on-one mentoring from high-profile digital and small business leaders.
To be eligible, you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- employ 19 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- not previously have received a state/territory or Commonwealth digital grant (excluding the Cyber Security Small Business Grants Program)
- not have received Australian Small Business Advisory Services (ASBAS) Digital Solutions assistance since July 2018
- not be a registered not-for-profit entity
- comply with workplace relations and taxation laws, and workplace health and safety requirements
To participate in the project the 100 businesses will need to agree to:
- a digital expert assessing your digital needs
- providing information that shows the journey and how the business has changed, grown, or become more profitable or competitive
- enter into a contract that will specify that the successful business will receive support in the form of digital goods and services, in exchange for the business undertaking a digital transformation, providing data to track the impact on the business of undertaking the digital transformation, and sharing its story. This application does not commit any party to enter into a contract – the contract will be negotiated with the successful small businesses at a later date.
Applications close 4 February 2019.
Small Business Digital Champions provided 100 small businesses with support for a comprehensive digital transformation of their business.
15 of the 100 businesses were selected to become Digital Champions and received additional support from a high-profile digital mentor. Digital mentors have shared their experiences and provided guidance and insight on how to get the most out of the digital transformation.
The digital transformation included an assessment of the business’ needs, development of a personalised digital transformation plan and digital assistance that included:
- online content development
- digital training
The Digital Champions
- Altina Drinks
- Aubrey and Areegra
- Aurora Marketing
- Barc for Pets
- Chancellor and Bendle
- Geared Up Culcha
- Heart Health and Fitness
- Heating and Cooling Services
- Jurra Industries
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Tours
- Painter 4000
- Pro Art Signs and Designs
- Simplicity Campers
- Strategic Connections Group
- The Parents Village
Click here to view the complete list of recipients.