What is the Small Business Grants?
The Small Business Grant: COVID-19 Assistance is a program that provides support to South Australian small businesses that are highly impacted by the COVID19 pandemic.
Round 2 of the South Australian Small Business Grant has been expanded and now comprises of two grants:
- Employing Small Businesses – to support South Australian small businesses that employ staff and are a participant in the Commonwealth Government’s extended JobKeeper Payment scheme from 28 September 2020.
- Non-employing Small Businesses – to support South Australian small businesses operating from a commercial premises that do not employ staff and are a participant in the Commonwealth Government’s extended JobKeeper Payment scheme from 28 September 2020.
The Small Business Grant Employing Small Businesses grant amount is $10,000 per eligible business.
For Non-employing Small Businesses, grant amount is $3,000 per eligible business. Where multiple businesses meeting the eligibility criteria are controlled by one individual, company, partnership, or trustee, funding will be restricted to one grant for all businesses controlled by the individual, company, partnership, or trustee.
Grants are provided to support eligible businesses that have been adversely impacted by restrictions enacted by State or Commonwealth government due to COVID-19. This may include for example:
- Meeting business costs, including utilities, rent
- Seeking financial, legal or other advice to support business continuity planning
- Developing the business through marketing and communications activities
- Other supporting activities related to the operation of the business.
To be eligible, businesses and not-for-profits including eligible sporting and community organisations will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and were carrying on the operation of a business in South Australia on 30 September 2020
- Have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 (excluding GST) in either 2018-19 or 2019-20
- Are a participant in the Commonwealth Government’s extended JobKeeper Payment scheme from 28 September 2020
- The enterprise does not engage in illegal activity
- Employing grant applicants also need to:
- Employ people in South Australia as at 30 September 2020*
- Have total Australian payroll of less than $1.5 million in either 2018-19 or 2019-20, and not be entitled to a payroll tax waiver or deferral under COVID-19 support measures introduced by the South Australian Government
- Non-employing grant applicants also need to:
- be operating from a commercial premise
- not employ people in South Australia as at 30 September 2020*
To be considered an employee, staff must be under the control of the business, receive regular PAYG salary or wages, and have Pay As You Go Withholding amounts as well as superannuation paid by the employer. An owner, partner, or beneficiary of a trust is not considered to be an employee for the purpose of this grant.
Applications close 14 December 2020.