What is Social Enterprise Grants
The Social Enterprise Grants Program is a grant that will help social enterprises to access professional advice and support in the critical early stages of establishing and growing their business, and to assist in testing ideas in the market or using technology to achieve their reach and mission.
The Queensland Government, through the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT) is making grants available specifically to social enterprises to address and overcome these unique challenges, through access to professional advice and support in the critical stages of establishing or expanding their business, and to assist in testing their ideas in the market or using technology to increase their reach and mission.
The overall aim of these grants is to build the capability, capacity and sustainability of social enterprises in Queensland and create jobs for Queenslanders.
Funding of between $5,000 and $50,000 (excluding GST) may be provided to eligible social enterprises to engage business consultants, mentors or digital experts to assist them to establish and grow their business and to grow their mission.
If successful, a 50% funding contribution (excluding GST) is provided following completion of your project. The applicant needs to meet the eligibility and assessment criteria to be considered and must provide satisfactory evidence of the project’s completion to obtain funding.
The $5,000 (i.e. the value of the project is at least $10,000) and the maximum grant funding amount is $50,000 (i.e. the value of the project is at least $100,000).
Projects proposed will see businesses participate in training, engage a consultant, advisor, or business coach for up to six months to help establish or grow the business, hone their mission and/or create employment opportunities and pathways.
The training, advice or services must fall under one or more of the following areas:
- mentoring/coaching, professional business advice (i.e. information technology, procurement/supply chain, legal, financial or digital);
- business and strategic planning (i.e. business growth or risk management plans, expanding the reach of their mission, capital raising);
- marketing, branding or digital strategy development, including market research (some content or implementation activities will be considered but no advertising costs); or
- website development or upgrades or technology for e-commerce (selling and receiving payments electronically).
All projects approved for funding must be completed within six months of the date of approval. You must advise DESBT of any variations to the project dates. If these timeframes are not met, the offer of funding may be withdrawn.
Social enterprises eligible to apply for this grant are those based in Queensland that meet the following definition:
- led by an economic, social, cultural or environmental mission consistent with a public or community benefit;
- trades to fulfil their mission and derive more than 50 per cent of their income from trade; and
- reinvest the majority of any profit/surplus into the fulfilment of their mission.
To be eligible to apply for this grant, an organisation must be incorporated and can be:
- a company limited by guarantee;
- a cooperative;
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation;
- an incorporated association; or
- a for-profit company.
To be eligible for this grant, the business must:
- provide evidence (letter prepared by a member of CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand or the Institute of Public Accountants) that the business does, or intends to, reinvest or give 50% of income generated to fulfil its mission;
- be a social enterprise based in Queensland;
- have a registered business name;
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN); and
- not be insolvent or have owners/directors that are an undischarged bankrupt.
Only one application will be accepted from an individual ABN or a financial beneficiary of a social enterprise for consideration under each round.
Applications close 12 December 2019.