How Singapore supports start-ups through equity investment, grants and technology commercialisation.
The SPRING Start-up Enterprise Development Scheme (SPRING SEEDS) is an equity-based co-financing option for Singapore-based start-ups with innovative products and/or processes with intellectual content and strong growth potential across international markets.
The SPRING Start-up Enterprise Development Scheme is being managed by SPRING SEEDS Capital Pte Ltd (SSC), the investment arm of SPRING Singapore.
The SPRING Singapore Government agency delivers a collection of programs to help start-ups which include equity investment, grants and technology commercialisation. In particular, its venture investment arm SPRING SEEDS co-invests in start-ups with third parties such as angel investors and accelerators.
The National Research Foundation’s Technology Incubation Scheme co-invests in start-ups up to 85 percent of the investment up to a maximum of SGD$500,000 by a recommended incubator. Singapore also offers a R&D tax incentive which is modelled on the Australian R&D Tax Incentive and is administered by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
Investment of SGD$225 million to support Fintechinnovation has been announced by Singapore to fund innovation centres and infrastructure.
Singapore’s Media Development Authority (MDA) delivers two programs:
1. Early Stage Program
- provides SGD$60,000 seed funding to start-ups, where $50,000 comes from the MDA and $10,000 from an incubator.
- The funds are provided to the incubator.
- The funding is provided in four rounds of $15,000 and is dependent on the achievement of milestones.
2. Later Stage Program
- provides start-ups with approximately SGD$200,000 funding where $100,000 funding from an incubator is matched one-to-one by the MDA.
- There is no equity stake taken by the MDA.
For the Applicant
To be eligible for investment consideration, interested start-ups must :
- be a Singapore-based company with core activities carried out in Singapore.
- be incorporated as a Private Limited company for less than five years.
- have paid-up capital of at least $50,000.
- be able to evidence substantial innovative and intellectual content for its products and/or services and/or applications.
- have high growth potential with clear scalability for the international market.
- have identified a ready, independent third-party investor(s).
For the Investor(s)
- The corporate or individual investor(s) must not have prior interest in the company at the point of application and must be independent and objective.
- The corporate investor(s) must be legal entities with a minimum paid-up capital of $500,000.
- The investor(s) must also be able to contribute to the startup’s growth. The investor(s) should possess the management experience, relevant business contacts and/or necessary technical expertise that can value add to the startup.
- The investor(s) must be willing to take up a Board seat in the startup, should the investment be supported by SSC.
- The investor(s) must be prepared to invest at least $75,000 each into the business and conduct due diligence on the company.
- SPRING SEEDS official application form
- SPRING SEEDS FAQs