Up to $450,000 is available to increase local participation, improve on sport and recreation accessibility and volunteer opportunities.
The Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation Program is a new Victorian Government initiative that provides grants to assist state sporting associations and state sport and recreation bodies deliver initiatives that align to the Victorian Government’s priorities of increasing participation in sport and active recreation by:
- Building a more sustainable sport and recreation sector in Victoria.
- Increasing the equity, diversity and inclusiveness of the sport and recreation sector in Victoria.
The Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation Program has been shaped by input from the sport and active recreation sector and evaluation of previous Sport and Recreation Victoria funding programs which include:
- Aboriginal Sport and Recreation Program (ASRP)
- Access for All Abilities (AAA)
- Local Coaches for Local Cubs (LCFLC)
- Regional Sport and Recreation Program (RSRP)
- Sport and Recreation Development Program (SRDP)
- Victorians More Active (VMA)
- Volunteer Innovation Program (VIP)
- Welcoming and Inclusive clubs (WIC)
- Women in Sport and Recreation (WISAR)
The Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation Program aims to streamline the way in which Sport and Recreation Victoria works with key sport and active recreation organisations to support them in addressing the challenges they face. The intent of the new program is to grow participation in sport and active recreation through a more flexible model of investment.
The Victorian Government recognises that not all Victorians have the same opportunity to participate in organised sporting activities, and believes that sport should be inclusive and accessible, regardless of socio-economic background. This is not only important for social inclusion, but also in creating a healthy society with high levels of wellbeing. Participation in sport and recreation at the local level is a crucial aspect of healthy and happy communities. Local volunteers spend countless hours at their local sporting club, which is often a major source of social connection for people of all ages and all backgrounds.
Organisations eligible for funding will be grouped into four organisational groups, based on an assessment of existing membership levels, annual turnover and capacity of those organisations.
Group Funding amounts – 1 January 2016 to 30 June 2019
Group 1 – Proposals of up to $125,000 over the program period
Group 2 – Proposals of up to $175,000 over the program period
Group 3 – Proposals of up to $350,000 over the program period
Group 4 – Proposals of up to $450,000 over the program period
Organisations are eligible to apply for funding up to the maximum amount for their allocated grouping. There will be a Sport and Recreation Victoria moderation process to ensure that funding is appropriately shared across groups and organisations. It is expected that most organisations will not receive the maximum amount of funding eligible under their grouping.
The Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation Program will fund the delivery of projects and initiatives by state sporting associations and state sport and recreation bodies that are consistent with and support the direction of their strategic plan or business development plan. These should also be consistent with the Victorian Government priorities. These projects and initiatives will be negotiated with Sport and Recreation Victoria during the Expression of Interest process.
Activity areas of funding
- Activities that focus on governance, organisational development tasks, system improvements and sustainable capacity building activities that underpin the sustainability of an organisation and capacity to increase participation in sport or recreation activity; and/or
- Activities that build the capacity and skills of clubs or other affiliates, volunteers, coaches and officials to provide increased participation opportunities; and/or
- Activities that focus on activities that provide sustainable increases in participation in your sport or recreation activity; and/or
- Activities that focus on equitable, diverse and inclusive elements and provide project delivery to increase participation by underrepresented groups; and/or
- Activities that provide otherwise unavailable participation opportunities in a particular sport or recreation activity or for a particular group or groups of participants.
State sporting associations and state sport and recreation bodies recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria are eligible to apply for funding under the Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation Program.
Applications close 14 December 2015.