What is the Visitation Reliant Small Business Support Program?
The Visitation Reliant Small Business Support Program is an initiative to support eligible small businesses and sole traders operating in a range of tourism and hospitality related sectors that have been impacted due to restrictions on travel.
The purpose of the Visitation Reliant Small Business Support Program is to support small businesses operating in a range of tourism and hospitality related sectors that have been impacted due to restrictions on travel put in place by interstate governments and the subsequent drop in visitation to the Northern Territory.
In recognition of the devastating financial impact interstate lockdowns and travel restrictions have had on tourism and hospitality in the NT, the Northern Territory Government has developed a multi-pronged approach to support the Territory’s tourism industry, comprising Programs targeting specific sectors, and also businesses that service the tourism and hospitality sector but are not eligible for support under the Tourism Survival Fund or other targeted support mechanisms.
A $9 million Small Business Support Program for businesses reliant on international and interstate visitation has been announced.
Under the co-funded scheme, eligible employing businesses will receive a $3,000 payment, while non-employing businesses, including sole traders will receive a $1,000 payment. Eligible businesses must have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 and less than $10 million, and will need to prove a significant reduction in turnover (minimum of 30% drop) as a result of travel restrictions during the period July 2021, compared to the same period in 2019.
Eligible sectors include, but are not limited to:
- wholesale and retail trade
- provision of accommodation and/or food services
- transport, postal, warehousing and/or storage of stock-in-trade
- education and training
- provision of arts and/or recreational services.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a Territory Enterprise that operates solely in one or more eligible sector/s
- hold a valid Australian business number (ABN)
- have been registered for goods and services tax (GST) as at 1 July 2019
- be actively trading with an annual turnover of more than $75,000 and less than $10 million
- have had to temporarily cease or significantly reduce trading (i.e. suffered a drop of 30% or more in turnover from 1 to 31 July 2021 as compared to the same period in 2019) as a direct result of the downturn in visitor numbers to the NT (whether because of government imposed restrictions or not)
- not have an outstanding debt due and payable to the NT government.
Businesses with an annual turnover exceeding $10 million will be assessed on a case by case basis having regard to the other criteria and such other relevant matters as the Department may decide in its absolute discretion.
Excluded Recipients are businesses that have already received (or are expected to receive on approval of a current application) support through either the Arts and Culture COVID-19 Interruption Support Package or the Tourism Survival Fund.
Applications close 30 September 2021.