What is the Wheelchair Accessible Grant?
The Wheelchair Accessible Grant is a scheme to help Queensland taxi licence holders or lessee’s to acquire a new wheelchair accessible taxi.
Round 4 of the Scheme opened on 24 August 2020. At this time, an amount of up to $4,500,000 has been made available to fund grants under Round 4 of the Scheme.
The objective of the Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Grant Scheme is to modernise and reduce the average age the operational fleet of wheelchair accessible taxis in Queensland. This will be achieved by providing eligible licence holders with a grant to offset the cost of acquiring a new wheelchair accessible taxi.
The Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Grant Scheme provides assistance of up to $45,000, with a 50 per cent co-contribution from applicants to offset the cost of purchasing and modifying a new wheelchair accessible taxi.
Grants are available to assist with the following costs:
- purchase of a new wheelchair accessible taxi
- purchase and installation of eligible modifications, including the reconfiguration of seating for that vehicle
To be eligible, you must be:
- the holder or lessee of a taxi service licence
- registered for goods and services tax (GST).
Additionally, you must be applying to replace a vehicle which meets the requirements under one of the following classes with a new wheelchair accessible taxi:
- Class 1 – a wheelchair accessible taxi which is at least 8 years of age
- Class 2 – a wheelchair accessible taxi which
- is at least 6 years old
- has an odometer that shows the taxi has been driven at least 800,000 km
- a qualified mechanic, panel beater or other relevant tradesperson has advised the taxi requires repairs that would cost an estimated $10,000 (excluding GST) or more to continue its road worthiness
- Class 3 – a wheelchair accessible taxi of any age, which has been written-off by an accredited insurance adviser
- Class 4 – a conventional taxi vehicle where the corresponding taxi service licence has, or will be, amended to include a wheelchair accessible taxi condition that allows the new wheelchair accessible taxi to be operated in an identified eligible area.
Applications close 30 June 2022.