Up to $10,000 is available through With One Voice Movement to support people or groups who are wanting to start their own choir.
With One Voice Movement
With One Voice is a movement by Creativity Australia, an Australian charity organisation that bridges the gap between people experiencing disadvantage and those more fortunate through the neuro-scientific benefits of community singing. The organisation was founded in 2008 by award-winning social entrepreneur and soprano, Tania de Jong AM.
Creativity Australia’s With One Voice movement is a network community choirs that bring together people from all faiths, cultures, ages, abilities, backgrounds and socio-economic situations. We currently have 25 choirs located across Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra and regional Victoria, with thousands of choir members ranging in age from nine to 90 years old, and we are growing monthly!
The choirs are led by professional conductors and meet weekly, followed by supper. In addition to singing and eating together, the choirs also include an innovative Wish List program whereby choir members request and grant wishes to one another. Wishes can be anything that a choir member needs or has to offer, such as a free music lesson, assistance with learning a new language, writing a CV, finding a job, help with moving house, or computer tuition. To-date over 3000 wishes have been granted through our choirs.
The With One Voice Movement is about strengthening communities and inspiring individuals to find their voice. The movement is more than just singing with your local community choir. It’s an opportunity to create real connections between the diverse people in your community. It’s about building bridges between those who are experiencing disadvantage and those who are more fortunate, and creating opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds and situations to learn from one another and help each other.
There are seven key components to the program:
- Bringing together a diverse range of local community individuals and organisations to promote, commence and participate in the program;
- Finding an extraordinary music leader who is empathetic and inspiring;
- Finding a safe, nurturing space to hold rehearsals at that is accessible and close to public transport or infrastructure;
- Seeking out diversity – all ages, backgrounds and cultures are welcome, and there are no auditions;
- Showcasing your choir by performing locally and celebrating accomplishments;
- Nurturing social connections between choir members by rehearsing weekly, sharing a meal and facilitating the Wish List component; and
- Building sustainability by develop community and business connections, recruiting volunteers and fundraising.
To celebrate its 10-year anniversary, Creativity Australia is offering grants of up to $10,000 to people or groups who are wanting to start their own With One Voice choir. Only 10 of these grants are available, and all must be awarded before 30 June 2019.
Creativity Australia welcomes applications to establish With One Voice choirs from all community-based groups or organisations that have an interest in building healthier, happier, more inclusive and stronger communities.
Creativity Australia accepts applications from:
- Local schools
- Community based organisations such as Lions Clubs, Rotary Clubs and Freemasons Clubs;
- Sporting groups or teams;
- Not-for-profit organisations serving the community in any capacity (disability services, job seeker services, refugee and asylum seeker services, homelessness services, mental health services etc);
- Religious groups;
This is not an exclusive list, and Creativity Australia will be happy to chat further with you about other types of groups who would like to start a With One Voice choir.
Applications close 29 March 2019.