What is the Work Stay Play Program?
The Work Stay Play program is a grant opportunity to help NT tourism, hospitality, agriculture and aged care businesses attract critical workers.
The Work Stay Play Program is a time-limited initiative of the Northern Territory Government to attract critical workers to relocate to the Northern Territory or new local workers to transition from unemployment into a job.
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade is committed to ensuring that the overall objective, intent and expectations of this program are met, and for that reason these terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. It is your responsibility to check this website frequently for notifications about changes that may have been made to the terms and conditions or any other aspect of the documentation relating to this Program.
The objective of the Work Stay Play Program is to attract new and additional workers into the Northern Territory aged care, plant production, tourism and hospitality sectors.
Eligible businesses can apply for up to $1,500 for each new eligible worker. The cap on the total amount claimable is $60,000.
Payments for each worker will be split into 2 instalments:
- $750 when the eligible worker starts employment in the NT
- $750 after 8 weeks of continuous employment.
To be eligible, employers must:
- be a legal entity, with or without a registered business name
- hold a valid Australian business number (ABN)
- operate in at least one of the following sectors:
- aged care
- plant production.
An eligible worker is a person who either:
- has relocated to the NT from outside the Territory to take up employment with an eligible employer, or
- is an NT resident who was unemployed for at least one month immediately before starting employment with the eligible employer.
Eligible workers must also:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or otherwise legally authorised to work in Australia
- have started employment with an eligible employer on or after 30 April 2021
- be working a minimum of 20 hours per week
- not be related to the employer.
Applications close 31 December 2021.