What is the World Transplant Games 2023?
The World Transplant Games 2023 is a grant opportunity which aims to support Transplant Australia host the World Transplant Games in Perth, Western Australia in 2023, as announced by the Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services, Minister for Sport, Senator the Hon Richard Colbeck on 4 January 2021.
This grant is staged every two years and is the world’s largest awareness event for the importance of organ and tissue donation and the success of transplantation.
As a result of COVID-19, the successful organisation may need to identify alternative methods of service delivery. The department will support flexibility in the delivery of planned services to enable the successful organisation to adapt to the changing environment. The department will be considered in its approach to reporting over this time
and be flexible in reporting requirements under the terms of the Schedule.
The objectives of the grant are to:
- support Transplant Australia host and deliver the World Transplant Games 2023; and
- use the World Transplant Games 2023 as a vehicle to promote healthy and active lifestyles amongst transplant recipients, promote organ and tissue donation and encourage Australians to sign up to the Australian Organ Donor Register.
The intended outcomes of the grant are to:
- successfully deliver the World Transplant Games 2023;
- build and continue a legacy that brings lasting benefits to the transplant and donor community, the Australian community and the major events sector;
- enhance Australia’s reputation as the pre-eminent nation for the hosting and delivery of high quality major international events, and a leading destination for sport, tourism, business and investment;
- increase awareness of events that showcase sport and active recreation by targeted populations as opportunities to improve public health; and
- reinforce Australian Government messaging around participation in sport and active recreation as ways to promote healthy lifestyles and social inclusion.
The grant is for a total of $0.6 million over three years commencing in 2020-21. It contributes to the achievement of the Sport and Recreation Program, which aims to make Australia the world’s most active sporting nation, known for its integrity, sporting success and world leading sports industry.
This grant opportunity has been established as a one-off or ad hoc grant. The department considers that this is an appropriate type of selection process given grant activities can only be undertaken by the organisation identified below under Section 3.1 Table 2 Eligible organisation.
To be eligible, your grant activity must:
- support the delivery of the event including, planning for, administering, funding, marketing, promoting and hosting the event and associated event activities; and
- promote healthy and active lifestyles amongst transplant recipients, promote organ and tissue donation and encourage Australians to sign up to the Australian Organ Donor Register.
Costs that the grant may be used for include:
- infrastructure and resources to support the planning and delivery of World Transplant Games 2023, including salary and wages for support staff;
- identity, branding, marketing and promotion of World Transplant Games 2023; and
- activities associated with promoting organ and tissue donation and the Australian Organ Donor Register.
The following are ineligible activities:
- purchase of land;
- minor/major capital expenditure;
- the covering of retrospective costs;
- costs incurred in the preparation of a grant application or related documentation;
- subsidy of general ongoing administration of an organisation such as electricity, phone and rent;
- major construction/capital works;
- lobbying and activities which support political parties or campaigns; and
- activities for which other Commonwealth, state, territory or local government bodies have primary responsibility.
To be eligible to apply you must be the listed invited organisation and have received an invitation to apply.
Transplant Australia is invited to apply for this grant opportunity as it has the:
- capability to deliver the project activities in the project location;
- existing infrastructure and relationships to support the project activities; and
- knowledge of and capability to deliver the project objectives and outcomes.
Transplant Australia is the peak national organisation in Australia for transplant recipients and their families. Transplant Australia has been provided hosting rights for the World Transplant Games 2023 by the World Transplant Games Federation, and is therefore the only organisation eligible to deliver the event in Australia.
Applications close 29 January 2020.