Up to $1,200 is available to assist young athletes with the costs associated with attending championship events.
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy replaced the Young Athlete Assistance Program (YAAP) on 1 July 2015. This travel subsidy provides additional financial assistance through 3 event tiers and supports attendance at specific state, national and international events.
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy aims to foster the development of young athletes and support elite athlete pathways by providing financial assistance to help alleviate the costs associated with attending championship events.
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy will allow up to a maximum of $1200 in financial assistance over the 3 event tiers, once every 2 calendar years. Eligible athletes and officials can apply for 1 event per tier once every second calendar year.
- State or state school event – $200
- National or national school event – $400
- International event – $600.
Applicants eligible to apply for support after attending the event are those who:
- have competed or officiated (as a coach, referee or scorer) at an eligible Queensland state or state school event, Australian national or national school event or international event in the past 6 months
- have been residents of Queensland for at least 12 months preceding the event
- are under the age of 18 at the start of the event
- travelled a road distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check road distances using RACQ’s trip planner)
- flew or travelled by rail a radial distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check radial distances)
- have their participation at the event confirmed by the regional/state/national coach or manager.
Applications open on an ongoing basis.